Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2007, 08:38 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Default CPU for test rig?

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a test rig. Most parts are acquired, except the CPU. I've bid a few times on eBay, with no luck. CPUs were one Celly D 336, one P4 D 820 and one P4 641 - all max bid were $50US.

Now I'm thinking that the latest Intel CPU - the C2D 2140 - might be an interesting choice. Brand new at 93$CAN, I'm blowing my budget away, but I would be buying a brand new PCU.

Is that new CPU worth it? I know you're saying that it's only a test rig, no need for processing power... but I know that I will fold too, when not in use.

Unless someone here has a CPU for sale that would fit the bill... btw the mobo is an ECS PT890T-A. Oc'ing may be tricky with this board, but I'm willing to try it.

Heck, it cost me $12US, s/h included...

John

Last edited by 3.0charlie; June 11, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old June 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
Allstar

I just ordered an E2140. I'll let you know how it works in a few weeks.

I'd say it's a good budget chip though.
Old June 12, 2007, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're waiting for a couple of weeks- I'll be reviewing some low end intel vs. some low end AMD CPUs.
Old June 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll give you a buzz in less than 1 week - just ordered it through DC...

We'll see.
Old June 12, 2007, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

AH i have an Intel Celeron D 2.66Ghz that is sitting on my desk. I would have sold it to you for like 50$
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old June 12, 2007, 08:34 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

I read somewhere recently (ocf or extreme?) about a 2140 at over 100% oc.

I doubt your board will get much of an oc on it tho.

The only other knock on it is for folding ... a lot of SMP WU's perform a lot better (/edit 40% not 60% as originally posted) with 4MB cache compared to 2MB on the 6300/6400's. So having only 1MB will hurt.

But it will fold better than a cely by a mile; an 820 might be better perf wize with 2x1mb cache but its a space heater/power hog for folding 724 and the better floating point on the 2140 might offset that.

The price is certainly right.

If you are looking for more test stuff, and want to fold on it when idle, shoot me a pm.

Last edited by pscout; June 13, 2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old June 12, 2007, 08:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Too bad, that Celly would have fit the bill perfectly - since it's only a test rig. Better luck next time. As for the board, I've just d/l the manual. We'll see what's in store oc'ing wise...

But it will definitely fold 24/7 when not in use. Speaking of which, I have to find out how to add a second CPU to my FAH username....
Old June 12, 2007, 08:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Too bad, that Celly would have fit the bill perfectly - since it's only a test rig. Better luck next time. As for the board, I've just d/l the manual. We'll see what's in store oc'ing wise...

But it will definitely fold 24/7 when not in use. Speaking of which, I have to find out how to add a second CPU to my FAH username....
It's a easy as registering the new install with your username, and don't forget to include the team#....... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 12, 2007, 08:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It's a easy as registering the new install with your username, and don't forget to include the team#....... :)
So I d/l the software from the Stanford site, install it and configure with my username and team #.

It can't be as easy as that. Really?

Thanks!

It will be up-and-running probably over the week-end.

John
Old June 13, 2007, 06:43 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Stanford doesn't have a registration system for user names ... just type in any name and thats where the points will go ... even if its not yours! There is a registration system for teams.

It doesn't matter which name the wu is downloaded under. So you could stop the client, change the name and restart the client and when the wu uploads, that is where the points will go.

typos in user names, especaily complex ones, are pretty common. I know a folder who put the wrong name in a computer he borged and didn't notice till >200k points later that it wasn't his id! These names are case sensitive. Blanks/underscores are common problems too. Directly editing the client.cfg with the wrong editor will also cause this since it is a unix format file ... notepad will work but is error prone. wordpad will NOT work. Stanford only supports changing the config file using the client with the -config or -configonly switches. I use the stanford client for most changes, but for just a name change I use a free editor called notetab.

When i change mine (eg to donate pts to someone such as the matching id here) I always check the console or log when i restart the client to make sure i got it right.

There is also a unique id that is generated for each client by the assignment server and is stored in the registry in windows. It is combined with the machine id from the client.cfg to arrive at a unique id for every folding instance. If you were going to run 2 instances of the client on 1 rig, each would need to have its own unigue id (1-16 range) so that the assignment server knows when a wu is returned, which instance it came from. But this mechanism is only for assignment or reassignment of wu's and not for points. If you look at your stanford stats, it will show your instance count. The unique id is displayed on the console/log when the client starts up.

Last edited by pscout; June 13, 2007 at 06:58 AM.