Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Odd question for X58 owners

Q: The CPU-latching device on the X58 boards - at least, I believe all of them - is removable, courtesy of a few hex-head bolts. Has anyone else with an X58 board noticed that the hold-down latch is loose on the board, even when the bolts are fully tightened?

Background:
I've been busting my brains for the last for the last week or two, trying to get the processor temperatures on my i7-920/Bloodrage combo down, since as best I was able to determine, they were higher than they should have been, given the equipment that was cooling them. After about twenty mounts and tweaking, plus lapping the processor, I just wasn't seeing any improvement. After looking closer, I finally began to wonder if some of the waterblock pressure was being applied to the metal frame of the socket latch, rather than the IHS itself. Sure enough, removing the latch and remounting was worth an instant 4-5 degrees improvement (load) over ANY of my previous mountings

This leads me to believe that there may have been a clearance issue getting in my way. So, any X58 owners noticed anything like this? I'm curious if there may have been a manfacturing issue with my board, or if this is just par for the course. Definitely never had this issue with any of my LGA775 boards, that's for sure.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've come across a few people on forums saying the latch needs too much force and that the plate doesn't sit firm. Interesting that you were able to gain 5oc just from removing the latch!!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

all the X58 sockets are loose when not latched, even when the torx/hex bolts are fully tightened. as soon as you latch the processor in place, it tightens right up as it pushes off the motherboard. if you take the latching mechanism off and just hold it in your hand, then go and latch the cover, you can see it gets all bent out of shape. this is because there is no flat surface (the motherboard) underneath it to provide the pressure. it works on a cam gear principle with the latching lever.

the only way there is a clearance issue is if the processor IHS is not sticking up over the latching mechanism, which should be easy enough to determine. just latch the CPU in place and look to see if anything is higher than the IHS. if not, then it isn't a clearance issue...and I am not sure how there could be without removing the IHS all together. i am not home right now to see how close the clearance is but i would assume it is pretty substantial.

FWIW the DFI latch is much harder to secure than the EVGA X58-SLI...i have never really thought about it before but will have a look when i get home, might shed some light on what you are finding.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't had a problem with mine, but I know for damn sure that it took a lot of force to secure the chip in there... I thought that little arm was going to snap!
Old March 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

So the loose socket is normal, at least? That's good to know, I suppose. Although given my experience, I think I'll leave it off for the time being. For some reason, it never occurred to me to lay a razor blade across the IHS at the time. I'll have to do that when I take everything apart again. But I definitely know that the clearance between the base of my Swiftech GTZ and the latch was VERY close - so close that I couldn't tell for certain whether block-latch was being made, which is what prompted me to remove the latch in the first place.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The socket is solid on my Extreme (even unlatched), and the arm was no more difficult to move than my last board (P45-DQ6). And since I'll be dismounting shortly for the new IC7 stuff, I'll double-check this.
Old March 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My socket slopped around on my EVGA board. It freaked me out when I noticed it, I thought the board was defective.
Old March 21, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

*Sigh*

Firstly, I've verified via razor blade that at best, there's a fraction of a mm clearance between the top of the processor's IHS and the hold-down bracket frame. At worst, they're level. Secondly, temperatures are still horrible, even without the bracket getting in the way. Temps are hitting 90 degrees under Prime, despite it being under heavy water-cooling. Seriously, there are people under air with better temps than this. I'm beginning to think that I've just got a bad chip. Defective IHS? Bad core-IHS contact? Not impossible, I suppose. It happens.

Just to confirm, everybody else's IHS is definitely higher than the surrounding bracket? Don't suppose anybody with a processor out of the socket could do a quick sideways profile photo? To maybe see if I've got a really low IHS or something? Unless some new revelation comes my way, looks like I'm buying a new chip. I'd like to know whether it's something obvious that I can look for before even installing it.
Old March 21, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll take one soon.
Old March 21, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

i completely forgot about this thread when i was taking photos for an upcoming MB review, but i do happen to have on shot partially showing what you are looking for. i took this photo to show where the heat sink could sit but it still shows a bit of useful info. i am in the middle of a long screenshot run but when it is done later this afternoon, i will get a perfectly level profile photo.

you can see that little punched part in the middle of the hold down that puts pressure on the CPU substrate, it comes close to the top of the IHS but definitely not level with it. again, i will get a perfectly level shot later today to see if any other part comes higher up on the IHS.