Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8 LGA 1366 Motherboard Review Comment Thread

The DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8 has definitely impressed us, read all about here at HWC...

DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8 LGA 1366 Motherboard Review

Have any questions? Comments? Want to share you experience with this board? Here is the place to do it. From time to time I will be posting further results with this board as I bench with it. Since we didn't have a sub-zero and extreme benchmarking section, due to some issues with the Dominator-GT memory that has now been identified, we will simply be posting those results here. So consider this the Sub-Zero and Extreme Benching section. First up some setup photos...

click for full size...

Insulation couldn't be any easier, and by easy I mean, Gigabyte GA-790GX easy. I spent about 8 minutes cutting out my insulation and we were ready to roll. Unfortunately, the Dominator-GTs were not. Being a rookie at this sort of thing , I didn't recognize the memory being the issue through two whole 30L dewars and well, let's just say I didn't get the results I was hoping for. I ended up with a single...yes a single result from 60L, but it happens to be a pretty decent one.

click for full size...

I am hoping to be back with more results at some point, but for now, this will have to do.

Last edited by 3oh6; March 13, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

First off, another great review!

Honestly though, I really wish they would release one without the neon colors. I've always heard good things about the boards, but I really couldn't get use to the color scheme, I know that it's sorta became their trade mark, but still, it scares off consumers who don't want bright colors, lights and the such.

Old March 12, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do like DFI's colours; I really do. No issues there personally; my issue is the forums support I get from companies like EVGA and Mushkin; I just can't find that with any other company. Althought THIS is the board I most anticpated and considering I've had this damn 965 sitting here doing nothing since i7 release I thought I had chosen the EVGA X58.. although I knew this review was coming.

Fantastic review; albiet I read it while largely drunk. I am glad the TRUE does actually fit on the mobo.

The question is now: this or the EVGA? I muuust order this week; I'm sick of my chip sitting here haha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:55 AM

Excellent, I <3 this board. Tweeted it for you.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:46 AM

thanks guys, i am really liking this board too. i also love the EVGA X58-SLI, so the next comment might be a bit surprising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
The question is now: this or the EVGA? I muuust order this week; I'm sick of my chip sitting here haha
i have received this question a lot with folks knowing i have both. for benching purposes, i personally would choose the DFI if someone walked into my place right now with a gun and said "we are taking the EVGA or the DFI...you choose". i think the EVGA may be quicker at 32M with the memory timing options available that the DFI doesn't have, but with that said, i still think the DFI is a better choice.

now, for 24/7 users...again i would have to recommend the DFI. throughout testing, the board has been flawless. there aren't as many reboot issues with random hangs on otherwise stable setups like i get with the EVGA once in a while. the DFI seems to be more consistent day to day. it feels like it clocks memory better and can handle higher clocks despite the lack of memory timing options. and it is as easy, if not easier, to get clocking at 200 BCLK. the EVGA is dead simple to clock as well and perhaps i feel this way because i was expecting a battle as with any DFI, but you literally just have to set CPU/memory ratios, up VTT to whatever is necessary for your uncore/memory clocks and vCORE for the CPU. all other voltages have been on the lowest default since i got the board.

one set back, as mentioned in the review and outlined in the thermal testing, is that you will want to have some sort of air blowing on the whole heat sink assembly. perhaps an exhaust fan sitting right above the I/O panel of your case will do the trick, but some sort of active cooling going over the memory helping the chipset out as well is ideal. the thermal testing section numbers are not fabricated, the PWM is a night and day difference without a little bit of air...and it doesn't take much to help a lot.

i also wish i had a better audio setup and knowledge in that aspect so i could comment on the audio, but for me, there isn't a lick of difference between the EVGA onboard and the DFI. again, that is likely a result of my ignorant ears and equally poor audio setup.

both boards provide room for the TRUE in both directions with identical drawbacks of overhang and first memory slot interference in specific directions. so no worries about the TRUE, fits like a glove no matter how you want to mount it...but it does overhang the top edge of the board when exhausting out the rear of the case.

the layouts are identical (and the best so far of any board IMO) aside from the PCI-E 1X (EVGA) vs PCI-E 4X (DFI) and the fact that the DFI has the two 16X slots when two cards are being used split up for dual slot coolers, but the testing we did in the EVGA review seemed to nullify any losses in PCI-E bandwidth anyway. i might repeat that testing with the GTX 295 now that i have it.

i think i have covered everything that pops to mind comparing the two boards but don't hesitate to ask anymore specific questions about the two. sorry for the essay, but more info is better than less
Old March 13, 2009, 03:10 PM
MVP
F@H

Excellent review. The colour scheme is irrelevant to me, as I don't do LAN parties, or use cases w/windows. The performance and features look fantastic, though. I was quite intrigued by the RAM benchmarks- a few surprises there!
Old March 13, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I enjoyed that review, very timely, and look forward to the crazy stuff!
This board is at the top of my list, quite handy having the socket clear of capacitors-makes cleaning leaks up a little easier.

BTW did you use the bios that the board shipped with or flash to another?

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old March 13, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm surprised this thread hasn't had more traffic; This is in my eyes one of the most anticipated motherboards in the X58 line up. I actually really appreciated this review as two or so months ago when I saw this board without it's cooling I was intrigued.

Another question; Do you think a case like the Cosmos S or Sniper with side fans is enough to keep the PWM cool or would you recommend maybe an Antec Spot cool or even possibly putting the mobo under water?

I have both case (or will soon) but I cannot fit my TRUE in the Cosmos S while using the side panel fan.. I'm hoping it'll fit in the Sniper but we'll see.

I would prefer to stay air (I just like the simplicity) but I may opt for watercooling on this rig after all.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 17, 2009, 07:11 AM
Trial Member

Default Wiil it clear FreeZone Elite

Wish they would give dimensions!

I will use this MB if the I/O heatsink area will fit beside my FreeZone Elite in the top fan bay of an Antec 1200. Looking at the pics I don't think so.

Would rather find out before I buy and not after.

Thanks

Randy
Old April 7, 2009, 04:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do this motherboard's VRMs squeal?