Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   My mobo caught fire! (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/15524-my-mobo-caught-fire.html)

belgolas March 6, 2009 08:47 PM

My mobo caught fire!

Well my brother wanted to transfer some files to my computer and my computer was on and so was his. He plugged in the firewire cable and then my computer turned off. Well without thinking much about it he just turned it back on and it started to smoke. A lot! K so I unplug it as quickly as possible. So we looked inside and couldn't figure out where it came from. This was at 12p.m. and I wanted to go to bed. But my brother wanted to transfer over all his files still because he wanted to buy a new computer. So he plugs the firewire cable into my other brother's computer. But his is off. So he turns it on but it doesn't go on no fans moving or anything. So now we have 2 computers that don't work. So I go to bed and so do my brothers. So my brother Chris and I woke up and tried different PSU's to see if we could boot. (I wasn't expectig mine 2 work). So my brother's comp that wasn't working before also aparently caught on fire too (I wasn't there). So something wierd happened. My guess is a faulty firewire cable? Both motherbaords are gigabyte P45s. My other explanation is that my brothers comp is a mac and the 2 that got destroyed are windows so the Mac was program to destroy windows machines when they are connected :bleh:. This is all very strange. So I took my computer apart and tested all the components and they all still work but the mobo has a large section underneith where it is all black from the fire. I will take pictures sometime when I get around to it.

What are your guys thoughts to what happened. I think there might have been a short which took out both comps but both comps have surge protectors. Could it have been a faulty firewire cable but it has been connected to other divices and worked. Just never 2 computers.

Ah well I was thinking of a different mobo to get a smaller case cause it is just a guest computer. Ah well I guess I will have to now.

element291 March 6, 2009 08:49 PM

You seem pretty calm for a guy who's mobo just caught fire. :haha:

gingerbee March 6, 2009 08:53 PM

mac attack some body had too

kirk_d March 6, 2009 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:thumb:

tyreman March 7, 2009 03:45 AM

Reminds me of Kenny Rogers and The First Edition a song they did...
Somethins' Burnin':biggrin:

CasheKicker March 7, 2009 06:05 AM

Well, I always wondered why they called it FIRE wire.

Dang man, that sucks.

DarKStar March 7, 2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasheKicker (Post 159972)
Well, I always wondered why they called it FIRE wire.

Dang man, that sucks.

LOL

That is scary because I use firewire a lot - and never had any problem. Sounds like a faulty cable short maybe you should send this cable to hell and get a new cable before you burn someone elses motherboard :haha:

You seem to be taking this very lightly. If it were my motherboard you screwed up you would not hear the end of it ! :biggrin:

Jake_HT March 7, 2009 03:07 PM

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shok::shok::shok::shok::shok::shok::canadianwave: :punk::clap::thumb:

MacJunky March 7, 2009 05:03 PM

Was the FireWire cable in the right way around? Some connectors are flimsy and can bend. (FireWire on Macintosh desktops is roughly 24v)

bovine.baron March 7, 2009 05:10 PM

Definitely the Mac. You need to shove a wooden stake through that thing's CPU and bury it in its'original packaging.