Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2009, 05:16 PM
Top Prospect

Default Best Suggestion for an mATX motherboard

I have a client who wants a pc based on an mAtx motherboard. They do not game just the internet, office applications and watching media content. I would like opinions on wich board would be appropriate, The Intel g45 chipset or the AMD 780 chipset. I would prefer Asus, Gigabyte or DFI(unsure about these boards). If I get him the intel I was considering the Intel E7400 and the AMD a Phenom 9550. So I am welcome to any suggestions as I am having information overload. Thanks in advance

Old March 4, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I personally would go with Intel because I'm a more intel-oriented guy, and apparently right now Intel has a bit better cost/performance ratio with their products too. AMD will probably be cheaper but I don't know for sure, I don't put together systems EVERY day =)

If you want AMD, there's the M3A78-EM, a very widely used mATX board for AMD CPU's. It's ~$120 at NCIX right now, coupled with a 9550 for $155 it shouldn't be too bad a combo =)

Now for Intel. You could get them an Atom board and then a PCI GFX card like the 6200 or something. If you looking for an mATX intel board though, the P5Q-VM doesn't disappoint. It, just like all other matx boards are solid, not meant for OCing, and will do what they're supposed to. With an E7400 the total comes to about $300, but IMO intel performs far beter for what you pay.

If you just want to save money, go the AMD route. Honestly, the price/performance ratio doesn't really pertain to mATX computers and boards, especially if it's just going to be used for internet/word, and watching movies. In this case, if I were to build a system for just that, I would go AMD because it's cheaper and you don't generally need that performance gain you would get should you decide to go Intel.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 5, 2009, 01:32 AM
Top Prospect

Thank you very much, I have a short list in mind. After much reading i have it down to 2 choices I have always preffered Intel processors so I like the P5Q-VM as Well I like the Asus P5N7A-vm This is a 775 socket but has the nvidia chipset 730I/Gf9300. I think the nvidea chipset might provide better oonboard graphics than the 4500hd chipset that comes with the P5Q-vm. Money is not a concern quality and performance are. I am not trying to save him money by not putting a video card, if the onboard is adequate for his uses but if i see that the onboard isnt cutting it I can get him a video card after. I am really tring to keep heat issues to a minimum for that reason I am pretty much set on the E7400. Personaly I have been using the E8400 for a few months and I have been very impressed with the core temps even with high overclocking 4.0 with ease(36 celsius).

Old March 5, 2009, 06:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

To be Honest for a moment, there are a few Intel Manufactured Boards that are really Rock Stable.
I've been using my DG35EC forever now, and I have yet to have an issue.
It can take every chip in the Intel Lineup without a hitch.
JUst as a thought at least.

Of course, if this person wants to OC later on, yeah going with Gigabyte or Asus would be a good bet.

Other than that, I know a few XFX boards that are mATX and for the two builds I've done with them, I had no complaints.

Good Luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 5, 2009, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect

Thank you I have only used a few brands but I have had such good luck with asus that its difficult to change. Actually one other manufacturer was dfi that had the jr p45 and x58 junior nice boards but changed my mind quickly when i came accros the Asus rampage ll x58 mAtx that a nice board I was surprised that they already had the x58 I7 mAtx version. So once we saw this possibility why not go all out. The client now has to talk to his wife and decide how far they want to go since it seems that the sky is the limit for them. thank you