Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default AMD's DX10...stinks?

We might feel the urge to downplay ATI's apparent inability to match NVidia's success with the Geforce 8 series by blaming their underwhelming results on such things as immature drivers, etc.; not necessarily because we're fanboys, but because we hate to think of a graphics world with no competition, and we want to root for the underdog. While I do think that there will be some fairly short term improvement in AMD/ATI's performance standings, I'm don't think they're ever going to really shine with their current lineup of GPUs. Here's to hoping!

DX10 testing of DAAMIT's latest Radeon 2900 XT has shown that its performance is lacking when it comes to Company of Heroes, the first DX10 game released to much fanfare last week.
Reviews have popped up all over the wibble, with Nate 'Goatee Gimp' Kirsch offering one of the best. And by best we mean succinct.

More from The Inquirer
Old June 4, 2007, 10:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

good points Babrbarossa, but is it any coincidence that a game which features the nvidia splash animation ["nvidia: the way it's meant to be played"] just so happens to run better on nvidia cards?

but that's just fodder...

AMD/ATI better tighten up and i mean bigtime. TVout quality and 3d rendering image quality used to be hallmarks of a solid ATI built video card. Today TVout quality is a moot point with HDMI/DVI cables and connectors. Also nvidia has caught up to ATI's image quality in 3d rendering since the 8800 series. With the carpet pulled out from under ATI's feet, I truly hope they have more to offer soon, other than this 2900 unit of theirs.

But this review is for the high end market spectrum (who's best if money is no object). We all know (i assume) that silicon companies like ATI, nVidia, intel (etc) all make their bread and butter from mainstream products; think volume sales here people. Did ATI simply give us a mainstream video card and not even bother with a high end (low profit) model? Looking at the performance numbers from benchmark sites, i'm inclined to think so...

The only problem with the HD2900XT is that it's priced way too close to the 8800 GTS (640MB). Or perhaps ATI needs to market an "ATI, the way it's meant to be played" campaign.
Old June 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
Allstar

AMD really dropped the ball in the first half of the year ... Let's hope they can save face in the second half with their mainstream products ...
Old June 5, 2007, 12:48 AM
Rookie

Default this month next month

well I'm not quite sure when its coming out but its speculated to be either this month or next month but isn't ati supposed to release the 2900xtx with a gig of gddr4 I'm really hoping this will drag them out of the mud and start a price war with nvidia.
Old June 5, 2007, 01:40 AM
Top Prospect

So the leaked "benchmarks" held some truths...the 2900XT does not match the performance of a 8800 GTX.
PAN: IBM Thinkpad T42 | Pentium M @ 1.77 GHz | 1GB DDR-333 | 40GB HDD | DVD-/+RW | ATi Radeon 7500.
[Server]
ZEUS: Dell Optiplex G150 | Intel PIII 1 GHz | 512GB SDRAM | 500GB HDD.
Old June 5, 2007, 06:29 AM
Allstar

Forgive me if I am wrong but, I thought a XT and a GTX were not really in the same league? I always thought ATI's fastest cards were the XTX models?
Old June 5, 2007, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are rumors that the xtx will be released in July or August, but it doesn't look good either- only a 10MHz bump to the core- These aren't confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Radeon HD 2900XTX to appear in late July :: TweakTown
Old June 5, 2007, 07:23 AM
Rookie

Default speculation

I thought it was a bigger core difference where it was upped to 900 but its still all rumor and speculation so far since they haven't officially announced anything past the current 2900xt only more midrange cards but I'm rooting that they pull something out of their ass so i can do some serious F@H, also slightly off topic but i really wished this new gen decreased the price of the 19xx series because I wanna go crossfire