Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2009, 05:27 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Says who? Both the new AM3 motherboards and their AM2+ counterparts are using the Exact Same Northbridge and there is very little difference between both versions from what I can tell... other than DDR3 vs DDR2 slots. So IMHO I think It would be possible...
I thought with AMD chips the Northbridge had nothing to do with the memory? Isn't the memory routed through the onboard memory controller?

It seems like vendors have gone with DDR3 on AM3 based boards even though technically DDR2 would support could've have been implemented (with different memory slots).

Any more recommendations on sub $150 boards? Probably AM2+ at this point.
Old February 25, 2009, 06:16 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
I thought with AMD chips the Northbridge had nothing to do with the memory? Isn't the memory routed through the onboard memory controller?

It seems like vendors have gone with DDR3 on AM3 based boards even though technically DDR2 would support could've have been implemented (with different memory slots).

Any more recommendations on sub $150 boards? Probably AM2+ at this point.
Sorry if I was unclear, the Northbridge has nothing to do with the memory, so thats even more reason than an AM3 motherboard could support DDR2, lol.

As for a sub-150 AM2+ Motherboard that would support and AM3, check out this one I posted in another thread:
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 ATX AM2+/AM3 AMD790X DDR2 CrossFireX 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard - GA-MA790X-UD4 In Canada.
Old February 25, 2009, 07:56 AM
Banned
F@H

AM3 is AM3 cpus and DDR3-only. AM2+ is DDR2, for AM3 and AM2 cpus. If AM3 boards had DDR2, they would be called an AM2+ board...
Old February 25, 2009, 08:52 AM
Top Prospect

It seems like all Phenom II CPU's are sometimes refered to as AM3 CPUs, even though they come in seperate AM2+ and AM3 versions.
I don't really see why there even exists AM2+ Phenom II's? Since the AM3 Phenom II's work in a 2+ socket?
Old February 25, 2009, 08:55 AM
Banned
F@H

New chipset and SB aren't ready yet, hence AM2+ Phenom2's. Seeing how most business-type installs will just use thier previous AM2+ boards, they got the cpus out for those that wanted them ASAP.
Old February 25, 2009, 08:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
New chipset and SB aren't ready yet, hence AM2+ Phenom2's. Seeing how most business-type installs will just use thier previous AM2+ boards, they got the cpus out for those that wanted them ASAP.
Won't the AM3 CPU's work in the 2+ boards just as well as 2+ CPU's in 2+ boards. I was under the impression the only limitation was going forward, ie. you can't use a 2+ CPU in a socket 3 board.

(edit: maybe AMD assumed that it would be too hard to explain the backwards compatibility of the new AM3 cpu's so they just came out with a 2+ line too?)

My brain is starting to hurt.
Old February 25, 2009, 09:01 AM
Banned
F@H

Yes, you are right. Like I said in my post previous,

Quote:
AM3 is AM3 cpus and DDR3-only. AM2+ is DDR2, for AM3 and AM2 cpus. If AM3 boards had DDR2, they would be called an AM2+ board...
Yes, it's very confusing. When Phenom2 launched, there were next-to-zero AM3(AMD DDR3) boards on the market, as BIOSES were not really ready yet. The DDR3 mem-controllers in AM2+ cpus either are not working, of poor quality, or not yet validated at DDR3 speeds that would bring any benefit.(ie, they were binned).
Old February 25, 2009, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
The DDR3 mem-controllers in AM2+ cpus either are not working, of poor quality, or not yet validated at DDR3 speeds that would bring any benefit.(ie, they were binned).
Ok, that makes sense... binned processor sold for a bit cheaper and only compatible with AM2+ (DDR2) boards. (instead of AM2+(DDR2) and AM3(DDR3) for the AM3 Phenoms). I'm thinking I want to get an AM3 CPU for sure but a 2+ board will do for the next year or so. I've better places to spend money than on DDR3 memory at this point.

Tags
amd phenom motherboard