Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

jdrom17 i agree nvidia chipsets for c2d blows have built manya system on both intel,via and nvidia and imo intel overclocks much better but over all these are the only 2 motherboard companys i buy from now
Old February 14, 2009, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

I will change my opinion. I agree that Intel is far superior to NVIDIA chipsets for LGA775. I was mixing up the Striker and the Maximus chipsets because people typically ask me for compairisons on like chipseted motherboards, buying a NVIDIA chipset vs. Intel chipset with LGA775 really comes down to the video card choices. That being said I'd get a Asus Maximus II Formula over the Gigabyte if I had a choice and would only consider the Striker II Formula if you want SLI support. The Gigabyte should also be cheaper too if money is a factor and is still a fine board. The Asus Maximus II and Striker II Formula's come with the X-Fi Supreme audio card which is pretty good as far as motherboard audio goes and will perform better than the audio included with the Gigabyte, though I'd mention that incase audio is a factor. The Gigabyte may make even more sense if you already have a good dedicated audio card.

Also you shouldn't rule out one of Asus' many P5Q based boards, you should be able to find one of those in a similar price range as the Gigabyte and it will offer solid performance as well. Take a look the the P5Q3 or even the P5Q3 which also has DDR2/DDR3 support but lacks Crossfire support.

Last edited by NightRain; February 14, 2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old February 14, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Unless you absolutely have to have SLI support, my vote goes for an intel chipset on the S775 platform. With that in mind, I'd suggest the giga board.
And we know better running a single faster videocard will be a far better experience than any 2 cards in SLI.

EE
Old February 14, 2009, 10:10 AM
Rookie

For under 250.00 with taxes, what board would you guys buy? I have the Gigabyte listed in the beginning of this thread. Is there a motherboard for 250 that is better then the gigy? Maybe ill buy the better board for 250 and use that as my main board, and keep the gigy for the back-up.
Old February 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be hard pressed to think spending that much on my LGA775 would offer you any better performance, stability, and overclocking. I err on the side price/performance when buying boards because in my experience the more expensive boards using the same chipset offered nothing different other than a whole lot accessories and junk that I(we) never use. You can spend about $50-$70 less and put the money towards a new HDD, fans, heatinks, DVD/DRW drives, etc.

Regards,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; February 20, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old February 14, 2009, 11:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Why do you need a backup board? Before that board breaks, LGA775 will be at the end of its life.

IMHO, as EE suggested, you can spend less and get almost the same performance. Other than the better look, some cheaper boards have a better price/performance ratio, i.e. Biostar I45.

Old February 14, 2009, 04:06 PM
Rookie

For back-up. Hence the name back-up. Most often then none, I have issues with the motherboards I choose,and I hate waiting around for Rma. So its nice to have a back-up motherboard around in case of any issue were I need to rma.
Old February 14, 2009, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Either the Gigabyte you mentioned or a ASUS P5Q Pro or P5Q-E. All great boards and around the $150 point. I honestly don't see why you'd spend $250 on say a Maximus II Formula when performance/stability wise, doesn't really offer anything more.

And for a backup board, NVIDIA chipsets aren't a good idea. They just aren't known for being 100% reliable.
Old February 14, 2009, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Thats what I came here for. For your input.:help: And I was thinking of the Asus Pro motherboard. I have done alot of research from forum reviews, but its always nice to here it straight up from users like your self. So thanks alot everyone for your input.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
MVP

Talking

I would avoid a nvidia chipset board personally.
I still have one.

Its just easier the other way and much less fiddling.

NVidia may be going out of the chipset anyway?

I also just purchased and hooked up a Asus P5QL PRO

Running a 6420 at 2.80 with low voltage on this board.
Absolutely first rate.

This board is around $111, feature rich and seems to really only lack firewire on board support from a quick glance.
For whats needed here

Buying an expensive board is no guarantee of much.
except like all computer parts...pretty quickly heavily devalued
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Last edited by tyreman; February 20, 2009 at 09:41 AM.