Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2009, 02:53 AM
Rookie

Default Best all-around X58 motherboard (expert's opinion please)

I'm looking for a good reliable motherboard for my new PC that I'm building from scratch

CPU = i7 920 2.66ghz

GPU = Evga gtx295+ (will do quad-sli later)

-will use 3x2GB (will do 6x2GB later)- haven't bought any yet

OS - Vista home premium 64bit w/ SP1

other thoughts : love playing some latest 1st person shooting games( COD: modern warfare/world at war, to be released COD6 modern warfare 2)
also do a lot of java programming/designing, run multiple applications..
use a lot of wireless USB devices (wirless controllers/headsets/bluetooth usb/multiple mouse/wireless keyboard)

About over-clocking: I'm not an over-clocking freak.. heck I don't even know much about it so I might not be using that unless I learn it completely and feel comfortable doing it. So, over-clocking is not really a concern for me.. though, an easy OC setup would be a welcome feature.

That all being said, what x58 mobo will be best suited for me?

Personally, I'm confused between 3 mobos..

1. EVGA Classified
2. Gigabyte UD5
3. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Mainly I'm looking for something that won't give me much trouble with updating Bios since I'm new to this stuff, and an easy over-clocking that a newbie can learn it.

A board that can run full 12GB memory ram(not over-clocked mainly, but with over-clocking, aswell.. once I learn it later) without any problems

A friendly USB devices(wireless and non-wireless) mobo. I for one don't want my mobo giving me problems with not reading my USB devices that I try to connect.. I'd be connecting up to 8(and half of them are wireless). All will be connected 24/7 for the most part.

Lastly, After I do my GTX 295 Quad-SLI.. I would want my PCIex1 slot free for other purpose(s), and at least one PCE slot free.
Old February 13, 2009, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well your PCIE requirements basically allow you to cut the P6T from your lineup as is. Other than that it's really up to you. I guess I can't really say between the other two board since I've had a 965 sitting on my desk since release date and still have yet to decide between the two myself hahaha. I will probably be getting the EVGA I just havn't pulled the trigger yet.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:24 AM
Rookie

I am not sure if the EVGA board can do it, but on the Gigabyte UD5 you can run some beta bioses to permanently have the turbo boost on during load enabling the 21x multiplier. This might be something to consider if you are into OCing.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4ghz
Gigabyte EX-58-UD5
(F5 Final)
3 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz
150GB Raptor
1TB Western Digital Green Drive
XFX HD4870 X2 with Koolance VID-487X2 waterblock
Water cooled with MCP655 and Thermochill 120.3
Coolermaster Cosmos S
Scythe S-Flex G
Enermax 85+ 1050 Revolution
Old February 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Encorp, if you don't want that 965 just sitting there, I could help you out with that

Anyway, it's really up to you as far as which board you get. There are good things about both of those boards. Do you plan to run a sound card? Also, there's no point in getting quad-SLI if you keep your i7 920 at stock.

The EVGA runs the perma-Turbo as well.

I think with two GTX 295s on the EVGA, you shold able to get at a PCI slot and access to the bottom PCIE slot. With the Gigabyte, you won't have access to a PCI slot with quad-SLI