Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2009, 02:54 PM
Top Prospect

Smile Best MoBo for i7?

I am planning on buying a new i7 920 machine with either the ATI 4870 1gb or the nvidia 280 1gb, 6gb of dominator ram, and 1kw psu. I have pretty much decided on most things but i and torn between the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 ($370) and the Intel DX58SO ($270).

I have read many revews none of which are consistant. The UD5 has gotten almost all fantastic reviews in speed, OCing (runs i7 920 at 3.6GHz w/ stock cooling), design, and hardware sporting 3way crossfire/sli and 3 PCIex16 sockets. it is also $100 more expensive. The only bad thing ive read about it is that it doesn't handle 1600 ram well but can be fixed with OCing.
The intel board has only 2 PCIex16 and NO SLI. Reviews ive read say it runs the i7 the best but im not so sure about that. it's well biult for the price but just not as high end.

Considering value and how future friendly it is what is the best bang for my buck? If there is another board in this price range, please let my know

Old February 1, 2009, 03:32 PM
Top Prospect

Personally I'd take the Gigabyte over the Intel. However I just recently got a new i7 920 build and didn't get either of those boards. I eliminated the Intel DX58SO from my choices pretty early on because of its lack of IDE, lack of SLI support and the fact that it only comes with 4 DIMM slots.

I was down to four boards originally the Gigabyte you mentioned, the Foxconn Renaissance, the EVGA 132 and the Asus P6T Deluxe. I quickly dropped the EVGA because I read a lot of people have issues with it posting and I've never been a big fan of their motherboards. I read many reviews and eventually ruled out the Gigabyte because it didn't have SAS support like the Foxconn and Asus and I didn't like the 1x PCI location at the top of the board making it useless for regualar lenght cards. I really liked the fact that it had 10 SATA connections though, if you need a lot of SATA devices this is a great board.

I finally ended up with the Asus P6T Deluxe because I read so much good stuff about it, I've been a longtime Asus fan for motherboards and it had a ton of features. None of these boards can truly accomidate the triple SLI setup because of slot placement. You'd need the Asus Rampage II for that but it costs too much right now. I really liked having SAS because I though it would be good for futureproofing my storage a little. I've been 100% happy with this board and it runs my i920 at 3.90Ghz flawlessly with stock cooling.

I'm sure the Gigabyte is a fine board but seriosly take a look at the Asus P6T Deluxe and if you want to spend a little less check out the Foxconn Renaissance. The Foxconn and Gigabyte is around $330 while the Asus is around $360.
Old February 1, 2009, 04:04 PM
Top Prospect

Smile how much difference is there between the Asus P6T X58 and the deluxe?

how much difference is there between the Asus P6T X58 and the deluxe?

what does the deluxe do that the x58 can't? Im trying to buy my parts exclusivly from tigerdirect and memoryexpress to reduce shipping costs and they have the deluxe for $385, and the X58 for $320 both with no shipping.

From what ive read on memoryxpress they seem almost identicle. The deluxe has dual gigabit, but i don't see why i would wan't that anyway. If anything the X58 says it runs faster RAM. (i may be misreading that)

Also, out of curiosity, what is the orange socket above the optical socket and what is the optical socket for?

I am trying to save every penny i can so if you know a place that I can get it for cheaper then please tell me

Last edited by Bubbzilla; February 1, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbzilla View Post
how much difference is there between the Asus P6T X58 and the deluxe?

what does the deluxe do that the x58 can't? Im trying to buy my parts exclusivly from tigerdirect and memoryexpress to reduce shipping costs and they have the deluxe for $385, and the X58 for $320 both with no shipping.

From what ive read on memoryxpress they seem almost identicle. The deluxe has dual gigabit, but i don't see why i would wan't that anyway. If anything the X58 says it runs faster RAM. (i may be misreading that)

Also, out of curiosity, what is the orange socket above the optical socket and what is the optical socket for?

I am trying to save every penny i can so if you know a place that I can get it for cheaper then please tell me
Try Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! that is where I bought mine, it was by far the cheapest overall.

As for the differences in the P6T and P6T Deluxe. P6T has 8+2 Phase Power Design, P6TD has 16+2 Phase Power Design. This is a big deal if you overclock since 16+2 generates less heat which means more stable overclocking. P6T doesn't have SAS support like the P6T Deluxe. The standard P6T one-ups the Deluxe version with the standard board supporting 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x4 mode) where as the deluxe version only supports 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 mode). This means if you plan on using triple SLI the P6T would actually be slightly better than P6T Deluxe.

Overall the P6T is the best "cheaper" X58 board you can buy. If you won't miss a few of the things mentioned above you'll love the P6T. If you want that little bit extra go for the deluxe.

Here is a fantastic review of the P6T. Bjorn3d.com -ASUS P6T, Satisfying Your Daily Tech Cravings Since 1996

Also at newegg.ca you can get the i7 920 CPU for 349.99, the P6T is 304.99 but you can buy both together in a combo deal for $618.38 ($36.60 savings). Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

The P6T deluxe is $365.99 but you can get it with the i7 920 for $679. 38 ($36.60 savings). Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Great deals. BTW in case you're wondering I'm using the OCZ Triple Channel XMP 10666 3x2GB kit. It works awesome and I run my CPU at 3.90 GHz with the RAM at 7-7-7-20 timings with 1.60v. Everything is very stable and this is with stock cooling on the CPU and memory.

Newegg.ca - OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The 12800 OCZ XMP kit is actually a little cheaper now (I only paid $227 for my kit, not $280). However the i7 CPU's really only 100% like 12800 RAM if you have the 965 CPU. Many people report issues with running 6 slots of PC 12800 RAM and the i920 or i940 CPU's. Apparently it is a limitation of the X58 chipset.

As for the orange connector on the back of the mobo about the optical connector. That is a digital coaxial connector. Basically the onboard audio support both types of digital audio connections with two separate ports.

This is also a great review for the P6T Deluxe. ASUS P6T DeLuxe review - X58 motherboard
Old February 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
Top Prospect

Is it possible to use the P6T and run a 920 at 4GHz using high end air cooling, or is my money better spent getting the P6TD and getting less cooling?

Last edited by Bubbzilla; February 1, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old February 1, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Is it possible to use the P6T and run a 920 at 4GHz using high end air cooling, or is my money better spent getting the P6TD and getting less cooling?
It all depends. Yes it is possible but it might mean running you CPU really hot all the time or you might have a bad chip that can't do as much. So far I have seen that you can pretty much be safe to say that you can pretty much get 3.8 on most chips. So you should be able to get that but it is still not 100%. Anyways if you can only get 3.8 then it isn't that big of a deal because for benching it isn't much going from 3.8 to 4 ghz for games. Also mobo isn't too much of the biggest contributor to OC it is mostly on a good chip, some good skills and trying to keep that CPU temp down.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 2, 2009, 03:20 PM
Top Prospect

Smile

Off topic>>>You said above that x58 boards don't run 12800 ram. Is there a work around? Is there a certain type of 12800 ram that does on x58 or is it just not worth it? And what are the problems they are experiencing
Old February 2, 2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

EVGA X58 is the best one IMHO. It has a superior slot layout and is rock stable. It is also one of the motherboards that can do SLI AND Crossfire. Not all X58 can do that. EVGA has superior tech support 24/7 if you should need it and a fantastic forum.
Old February 2, 2009, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Off topic>>>You said above that x58 boards don't run 12800 ram. Is there a work around? Is there a certain type of 12800 ram that does on x58 or is it just not worth it? And what are the problems they are experiencing

No I think you misunderstood or I didn't explain well. Some people are claiming to have issues with running 1600MHz RAM (PC12800) with the i920 or i940 in triple channel with both slots in each channel being used. (6 RAM modules, ie. 6x2gb for 12gb total).

The results seem to vary. Here you'll see this information "Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only." However the results vary from manufacture to manufacture.

Some claim when running more than 3 sticks of 1600Mhz then only work in dual channel not triple channel, others claim triple channel works fine as long as you don't use X.M.P. settings. Others still claim that X.M.P and triple channel works fine. While some people claim the system won't post. Some also claim running 1600MHz RAM in 6 slots at 1333MHz works fine when 1600MHz won't.

These results vary from motherboard to motherboard and since their are so many varibles it can't be said if this issue is related to the memory modules, the motherboard, the bios version, or even the CPU or X58 chipset.

I've read of this issue with Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA, etc. In almost all cases some people will claim it works. However I've read many reports of people who claimed to have issues with the Asus P6T series but those issues were resolved with the Asus 1102 BIOS. I have 3x2GB of DDR3 PC10666 running in my system. However a few days ago I tested 6x1GB of PC12800 OCZ Gold and it worked flawlessy, I have the 1102 BIOS.

What I was getting at was the only way you can guarentee 100% compatibility with 6 sticks of PC12800 in triple channel is with the 965 extreme CPU. Almost all boards I've seen online have reports of mixed compatibility with the 920 and 940 CPU's in this setup.

It does seem that if the problem existed on the Asus P6T Deluxe boards the 1102 BIOS is doing something to resolve it. I'm sure if it is a BIOS thing then the manufactures will fix it for the most part. However if it is a issue with the CPU/chipset then a workaround may be whats getting it going on the Asus boards with the latest firmware. If that is the case I do expect others will do that method but doubt everyone would.

While I have seen other memory manufactures mentioned it seems most of these problems were with GSKILL memory. I have really only used Corsair or OCZ in many many years now and tend to stay with what I know.

Hope that sheds more light on it.
Old February 2, 2009, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

so if i use 3x2gb 1600 12800 ram (corsair dominator ram) using the asus p6t i shouldn't have any problem?

also, do you know of anywhere that sells the dominator fan that fits of tripple channel ram? Tigerdirect has it but only in a bundle with PC15000 which is $500 and up.
if not is there a reason why it is not sold with the 1600? And will the smaller one work in it's place (only $25)

Tags
sry its so long