Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
I'd say. Idle?
Ya.
Actually NB was high 60's idle as well, but then rested a small ASUS Vreg fan on the NB cooler and temps went down to 40's. It doesn't help that there is a 295 sitting right below.

I need to find a small fan for the vreg, or get a waterblock. But I heard a lot of stories about the classified vreg watercoolers not getting good contact. Confirmed/unconfirmed? you guys hear that, or have proof?
Old April 21, 2009, 10:24 AM
Banned
F@H

Getting 20c from a small fan says BUTTLOADS about the airflow in your system. I'm not saying you personally did anything bad, however, these boards obviously need active, and not passive, cooling.

Do you have a fan on your ram as well? I'm starting to think that with the classified for sure, EVGA have a different system config in mind that what the majority of users have ended up with, and it's this that is leading to the issues.

Bad contact on motherboard heatsinks of any sort if a pretty common occurance, to the point that it used to be standard fare for me to rip a board's cooling off once I got it. Whther it's bad contact, bad thermal interface, crappy fans that die...or whatever.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Getting 20c from a small fan says BUTTLOADS about the airflow in your system. I'm not saying you personally did anything bad, however, these boards obviously need active, and not passive, cooling.

Do you have a fan on your ram as well? I'm starting to think that with the classified for sure, EVGA have a different system config in mind that what the majority of users have ended up with, and it's this that is leading to the issues.

Bad contact on motherboard heatsinks of any sort if a pretty common occurance, to the point that it used to be standard fare for me to rip a board's cooling off once I got it. Whther it's bad contact, bad thermal interface, crappy fans that die...or whatever.
I'd have to agree (circulation issue).

No fan on my ram. I've got a TT kandalf case. The frony is mostly mesh, got a 120mm Intake on the front of a populated 3 HD cage. 120mm exhaust at the back above the motherboard IO panel. Above that an 80 exhaust and another 80 exhaust on the roof + the 92 on the PSU exhausting to the rear as well.. I know more out than in, but I think that is the case design.... The manual illustrarted that as the way to place the fans, as well the front is mesh, so I guess they figure there won't be a starvation issue.

I think that the Classified relies heavily on there being something to move the air around at 'ground level' (motherboard surface) near the vreg/nb. My system being void of a CPU fan (using Apogee GTZ) has nothing to move the air around down there. Plus the heat rising from the back of the 295 (installed in PCIe16-1) doesn't help the cause.

I'm not a fan of the Kandalf at all - i've had it for a few years and have always had heat issues. It's a poor design for air flow. Definitely looking for a new case. For those who don't know, Kandall is identical to the Armor, except the Kandalf has the funky light panel on the front. I removed that to get more flow, but am thinking of installing a 360 rad on the swing door in it's place.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
Banned
F@H

A fan on the mem would affect those temps a fair bit as well, and most people buying thse boards are gonna buy high-end ram that comes with a fan(corsair dominatorsGskill perfectstorm, come to mind). I also have seen a recent BOOST of cases coming with an intake/exhaust fan on the side panel, and am myself using the on in my CM690's, due to vgas dumping alot of heat into the case rather than exhausting it out the back.

VRMs should be good to 125c or so, but the concern comes into play becasue temps above 80c on VRM means that the board in that area is also close to the same temp, and that heat will transfer to other parts of the board, nevermind the cpu socket area.