Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

Default QC vs i7

can anyone please explain the major advantage of core i7 vs q/c ? I'm nearly done my build and with all the talk of i7 i'm almost considering selling what I've got now and moving to i7

currently running striker II extreme w/ q9550 and 3x gtx260

thanks!
Old January 25, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It appears that you're on the extreme end of things gaming wise as far as I know currently the i7 doesn't offer major advantages over current C2Qs and C2Ds in gaming, however I am unaware of how well the I7 scales multiple GPUs. I can't speak for the folders here, but they'll have thing or 2 to say about the impressive memory performance, hyperthreading and increased performance in certain applications.
Old January 25, 2009, 12:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Core i7 does nothing for gamers. People with high end Core 2 Quad setups (such as you and me) simply won't benefit from the new platform because the current offerings overclock well enough to match and/or surpass the Core i7 offerings.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old January 25, 2009, 01:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Core i7 does nothing for gamers. People with high end Core 2 Quad setups (such as you and me) simply won't benefit from the new platform because the current offerings overclock well enough to match and/or surpass the Core i7 offerings.

No offense, but that couldn't be further from the truth, especially when running 2 or more high end graphics cards as the OP is doing.

I noticed a jump of at least 10 fps in every game I play with jumps as high as 50 in some instances. I went from a Q9550 at 3.8 to this i7 920 at 4.02. You will notice increased FPS in games as well as everything feeling snappier and quicker in general. At least that's my experience.

This is what I have told people who have asked me if upgrading to i7 is worth while. If you are running tri-SLI or quad corssfire then yes. You will notice an increase in fps in all games due to the CPU bottleneck of the 775 chips. If you are running anything less GUP wise, then no, it is probably not worth the money to upgrade.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian7 View Post
No offense, but that couldn't be further from the truth, especially when running 2 or more high end graphics cards as the OP is doing.

I noticed a jump of at least 10 fps in every game I play with jumps as high as 50 in some instances. I went from a Q9550 at 3.8 to this i7 920 at 4.02. .
I've heard of others oc'ing over 4ghz with 9550's, will oc'ing help with the bottlenecking?
Old January 25, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian7 View Post

I noticed a jump of at least 10 fps in every game I play with jumps as high as 50 in some instances. I went from a Q9550 at 3.8 to this i7 920 at 4.02. You will notice increased FPS in games as well as everything feeling snappier and quicker in general. At least that's my experience.

This is what I have told people who have asked me if upgrading to i7 is worth while. If you are running tri-SLI or quad corssfire then yes. You will notice an increase in fps in all games due to the CPU bottleneck of the 775 chips. If you are running anything less GUP wise, then no, it is probably not worth the money to upgrade.
This depends on your screen resolution to be honest.

If you run a 19", 20" or 22" a i7 needing a dual card setup isn't necessary and since that isn't necessary neither is needing such a high end CPU.

It all depends on your purpose and use of a computer.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Old Build - E8400 @ 4.05 Ghz 4GB DDR2 1000 Mhz 2 x GTX 280 - 1920 x 1200 Ultra Settings FC2 Bench Short Ranch = 73 FPS Avg
New Build - I7 920 @ 3.35 Ghz 6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 2 x GTX 280 - 1920 x 1200 Ultra Settings FC Bench Short Ranch = 101 FPS Avaerage

I can only imagine what the Avg FPS will be if I tried this out with an OC of 4 Ghz....in time.

Old January 25, 2009, 01:56 PM
MVP
F@H

^or if you're the insane computer enthusiast who needs the absolute latest in technology.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
^or if you're the insane computer enthusiast who needs the absolute latest in technology.
Now if I really were ....I'd be running either Tri Sli 285's or Quad Sli 295's...that aint gonna happen ! I'm done.....for now..

Old January 25, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nehalem will you give you amazing multi-gpu scaling compared to C2Q. This includes running a single HD4870X2 or GTX 295. However, if you're running a single GPU, especially at high resolutions, and you're running at least a C2D @ 3.2GHz+, the gains are negligable. Of course, there are exceptions, such as FSX or other highly CPU intensive games