Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2009, 10:09 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Temperature Too Low?

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an Intel e5200 and a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L and have begun to tinker with it. I have overclocked the e5200 slightly, with the vcore at 1.216 (cpu-z) and the speed at 3.2ghz (320 x 10). When I first installed everything and booted up, I tried to get an overclock of 3.6 but even at the voltage previously stated, I could not reach my goal. Once I settled for 3.2 so I could boot into windows, I ran coretemp and strangely enough I am getting rougly 15 degrees average for both cores. I am not very experienced with temperature, seeing as how my last build was an AMD 4200 which idled at about 42 degrees. Is this right or is there something wrong? Also, what is a safe voltage I could bump my cpu to so that I can increase the FSB?

Old January 12, 2009, 10:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The farther your temps are away from TJmax, the more inaccurate the sensors are on Intel chips. As long as the temp rises when you load the machine, you're ok.

As for voltages, the max most people are willing to put into the 45nm chips is 1.4V for 24/7 use. If you're at 1.2 something, you've got lots of room to play yet. Just keep an eye on your load temps with RealTemp or Coretemp. They give the most accurate readings (you can even calibrate your temps with RealTemp apparently). Keep your load temps under 65, and put the juice to it!
Old January 12, 2009, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks for the quick reply!

What exactly is TJmax?

Old January 12, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

TJ Maxx: Womens, Mens, Juniors and Kids Clothing Store

On a serious note

TJ Max refers to the Maximum junction temperature as specified under Recommended Operating Conditions for the device. This value is vital to determine the nescessity for heatsink application if the junction temperature far exceeds that of TJ Max than it is vitally important to have a heatsink applied to maintain operational status.

Please read this article its actually very informative although technical it helped me understand why we use heatsinks and the importance. There is incredibal amount of science that goes into computers and their operation its all very technical but quite fascinating. I'll never forget what an old instructor of mine said "We know how to make it work, but sure as hell don't why it works" and he was just talking about memory.

Thermal Management

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Themal Junction Maximum, or the maximum operating temperature of your CPU. Usually around 85-100 degrees celsius. Intel doesn't like to publish that figure. What your temp sensor actually sends is the distance or delta from the TJmax of the CPU. This is then interpreted by your sensor programs and an approximate temperature is given. What's really important is that your CPU is about 60-70 degrees away from that max figure, so you've got room to play.

As you increase your FSB, you may have to increase your memory and northbridge voltages for them to keep up.