Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ergg... just noticed that they're old... 1.5gb/sec.... wouldn't that make it slower than 7200rpm 3.0 gb/sec drives? :(

EDIT: Just did some more reading, I think I'm settling with 2 of these:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

In RAID 0, the speed increase for the veliciraptors just isn't worth the price...

So with that lower price, I went with some 1866mhz OCZ Platinum RAM, and ended up under 1500 bucks total.

Last edited by Jake_HT; January 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:22 PM
MVP

Personally, I'm a huge fan of ASUS boards. Their customer service has always been stellar and they have never provided me a board I didn't love (can't say the same for EVGA or MSI). The R2E is by far the best board I've owned, it looks great aesthetically, is a dream to overclock with and has a boatload of features. I've also heard great thing about the EVGA board, but I stay away due to bad previous experiences with their 790i board and the resulting customer support. The P6T is a great board as well. It overclocks well and has both Xfire and SLI support as well and a nice layout. FYI though, save your money and don't get the OC palm. It's pretty gimmicky and I've never been comfortable with overclocking on the fly or in windows for that matter.

My suggestion would be the P6T first, and either of the Gigabyte or the EVGA board second. (assuming you've totally ruled out the R2E).

Cooler wise, you will definetly need a new air cooler. The 9500 is barely enough to handle an OC'd Q6600 let alone an i7 chip. IMO the 1200 isin't exactly WC friendly, how ever if you can make it work, it's well worth the added potential performance margin. Though realize that you have to maintain the system much more than an air cooled one.

HDD wise, those 320's or the 640's are great drives for a great price. Velociraptors do make a difference, however I would reccomend only putting money into them if you already have high end parts everywhere else.

Hope I was helpful.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian7 View Post
Personally, I'm a huge fan of ASUS boards. Their customer service has always been stellar and they have never provided me a board I didn't love (can't say the same for EVGA or MSI). The R2E is by far the best board I've owned, it looks great aesthetically, is a dream to overclock with and has a boatload of features. I've also heard great thing about the EVGA board, but I stay away due to bad previous experiences with their 790i board and the resulting customer support. The P6T is a great board as well. It overclocks well and has both Xfire and SLI support as well and a nice layout. FYI though, save your money and don't get the OC palm. It's pretty gimmicky and I've never been comfortable with overclocking on the fly or in windows for that matter.

My suggestion would be the P6T first, and either of the Gigabyte or the EVGA board second. (assuming you've totally ruled out the R2E).

Cooler wise, you will definetly need a new air cooler. The 9500 is barely enough to handle an OC'd Q6600 let alone an i7 chip. IMO the 1200 isin't exactly WC friendly, how ever if you can make it work, it's well worth the added potential performance margin. Though realize that you have to maintain the system much more than an air cooled one.

HDD wise, those 320's or the 640's are great drives for a great price. Velociraptors do make a difference, however I would reccomend only putting money into them if you already have high end parts everywhere else.

Hope I was helpful.
Yeah, the only thing I'm still stuck on is if my heatsink will suffice.. from what you guys are saying sounds like it won't, but like I was saying I have a lot of faith in my case to help it, worst case I will end up getting a new one anyways. I have the hard drive scenario down pat, I did a lot of reading on that and learned the 320-640 drives are faster due to better platter lay-out. 2 of those 320 in raid 0 will be great, faster than a single velociraptor at a fraction of the price, with much more storage space.

I am pretty set on the P6T also, along with that ram, I upped to 1866mhz just for kicks since I saved some money on the hard drive configuration. And I swapped for the non palm version, I never really thought of that lol, not like I'm going to be overclocking everyday... more like find a setting that works at leave it.

As far as water cooling goes, I have little to zero knowledge about it. I wouln't really like to since it's more maintenance, difficult setup, higher price, and something about water in my case turns me off

How would the Zalman 9700 be for cooling? It's same as mine just larger, I really like the design and the blue LED.. I really don't follow heatsinks that well either... I might have to make a post in the air cooling thread about that.

Thanks for the help so far, I've learned a lot from reading further on.. this is a big purchase for me, good thing I have some time before my payment to get it figured out the right way before just hitting checkout!

Here is the cart, 1400... not too bad..

Last edited by Jake_HT; January 13, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old January 14, 2009, 06:47 AM
MVP

You will need a new heatsink, no question. While your case does provide good airflow, it's the heatsink itself that removes the heat from the chip. Standing there and blowing on a processor won't cool it down, you need something copper or aluminum to dissipate it.

I see the processor and ram were a combo deal, but if it will save you money, you really only need to g up to 1600 Mhz.

Personally, I would go with either the TRUE 120 extreme or Coolermaster V8. I had a TRUE before upgrading to water and as very impressed. The V8 also suprised me in it's cooling ability.
Old January 16, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For some weird reason... it seems that everyday since I built my cart... the price of that 1866mhz ram has been rising? It's now more than the processor? WTF!
So I'm not going to buy that anymore based on that.. It's really sad watching my stuff getting more expensive when I didn't even change anything around...
Old January 16, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Canadian Dollar is diving everyday!
Old January 16, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
The Canadian Dollar is diving everyday!
I guess it is! The RAM is now 90 dollars more than it was like 5 days ago, I have screenshots of my old cart to prove it!
Old January 19, 2009, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

I just purcahsed a i7 920 last week, installed it all on Friday. Loving it so far.

I ordered this from newegg.ca

I got the OCZ XMP 6GB triple channel kit, it runs at 7-7-7-20 at 1.6v no problem.
Newegg.ca - OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I also got the Asus P6T Deluxe and it is AWESOME

Newegg.ca - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Currently running my system with RAM at 7-7-7-20 at 1.6v and the CPU at 3.9GHZ at 1.35V. It is extremely stable with no crashes or anything. I looped the Crysis time demo for 2 hours and it was perfect with stock cooling.

I have the Asus 4870 Dark Knight 1GB ATI 4870 video card. Newegg.ca - ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
At stock video speeds I get around 35FPS in crysis at 1920x1200 no AA HIGH detail.

If I overclock the video card from 750/900 to 815/920 I can get around 39fps.

Very very happy with it all.
Old January 19, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good to hear! I'm having a big crash right now with my order situation, so I'll have to wait ANOTHER week or so to get my stuff.... at least I'll have my heatsink lol. I'll make a post with some pics at the time and how my build up goes, I'm looking forward to it for sure! Should be a good learning experience overclocking the chip, I've never had a top of the line motherboard to help me out! I swear if I get something DOA I'm going to throw a fit I've already had my setbacks (long story)

I might upgrade my video card down the road when these 285's get cheaper, right now I think the 9800gtx will do just fine. Good to hear your build worked out well, hope for mine also!

Tags
ddr3 , x58