Old January 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Default Hardware Canucks: Benchmarkers Guide to the Phenom II

Name:  phenomII_logo-2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  32.8 KB

With the onslaught of seemingly endless hardware releases at the conclusion of 08 and beginning of 09, we at Hardware Canucks thought you could use a break from a mile long list of stuffy specifications, features, and benchmark results comparing the Phenom II to other processors. Instead of the typical results pages that go on and on, for the launch of the AMD Phenom II, we will take a bit more un-conventional route to presenting some information about the Phenom II performance. Recent developments in the overclocking and benchmarking world have once again vaulted AMD into the limelight with their Phenom II launch slated for today. News from AMD at recent tech demos has shown that the dreaded cold bug was all but gone allowing operation at liquid nitrogen temperatures of -196C, and possibly beyond. It was this information that we decided to present the Hardware Canucks: Benchmarkers Guide to the Phenom II.

Hope you guys enjoy 3oh6's overclocking efforts on the AMD Phenom II with three very different mediums; traditional ambient air cooling, phase change and liquid nitrogen.

Hardware Canucks: Benchmarkers Guide to the Phenom II
Old January 8, 2009, 03:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Don't Panic.

Looking good. Heres hoping the PII is a real gem!

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old January 8, 2009, 05:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Happy that AMD can deliver something.

But, This leaves me with a question, what will stop intel from just dropping the price of their Q9550, Q9400 at lower level and become a better options $ for $ ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 8, 2009, 06:24 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Do you think the overclocks achieved in this review using an ES processor are truly representative of the retail versions that are now being sold?
Old January 8, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Do you think the overclocks achieved in this review using an ES processor are truly representative of the retail versions that are now being sold?
I'd say its close, retail chips might be better, or they might be worse. Overall though, the results shouldn't stray too far, whichever way they go.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Excellent review for OC-ing an AMD. Long time no see those frequencies on an AMD.
Quote:
Anything past -60C is just cold bugged and things get all kinds of weird.
It looks like our guys were lucky.
Quote:
(-196C) maximum cooling with liquid nitrogen. Phenom II works.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I'd say its close, retail chips might be better, or they might be worse. Overall though, the results shouldn't stray too far, whichever way they go.
i am of the same belief. these are rather early batch results. lots of guys using even later ES chips were still getting as good or better results. my personal belief is that with proper air cooling, 3.6GHz should be the standard for the Phenom II at 1.55v. of course, until a month or so after retails are available...we can't tell for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post
Excellent review for OC-ing an AMD. Long time no see those frequencies on an AMD.
It looks like our guys were lucky.
yeah, there is definitely good cold chips and bad cold chips. some of the others in the industry that i talk with on a regular basis found similar results to mine as far as cold bug goes. then some, found the cold bug free chips. because of NDA's it has been hard trying to put a 'map' together to see if there is a relationship between low cold bugs and manufacture date or memory controller batch codes but i am sure that info will start to float to the surface now that NDA is up and retails are available.

we hope to have a follow up article to this one with retail chips at a later date. the good news is that mid-range boards can handle these chips without issue. the MA790GP-DS4H has been rock solid with this Phenom II from day one...and it has been running pretty much 24/7 from the day i got it crunching away so it is definitely up to the task of 24/7 operation.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quick OT forum newb question (and sorry for it)... is there an official thread where we can post the phenom II OC results we get, or it's this the one?

Thanks
Old January 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

I recieved my new Phenom II today but my PSU went south and took my MOBO ram and vid card with it. So it will have to wait.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old January 16, 2009, 05:09 AM
Rookie

did you guys try F3h BIOS for temps? since F3i is unofficial and they went to F3o (which i've heard gives more BIOS features but there is a POST delay and crappy O/C)
FYI, AMD i believe said leave HTLink alone for extreme cooling (LN2) for basic guarantee not to get the cold bug @ the Boston show in december.
F3h reports everything fine for me.

anyhoo, nice review. especially the air temps.
will you be doing a Dragon setup as well? possibly bench against this setup w/ the nvidia card? 200 series vs 4800 series? i haven't found any reviews doing this and would like to see how good this dragon can do or if it will be slayed (price/performance kinda thing)
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.0Ghz | OCZ Vendetta II | Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX/SB750 | 2x2gig Musking Redlines 5-5-5-18-24 T2 | XFX 8800GT XT 512MB @ 702/1023 | WD Raptor 36,74gig | OCZ GameXtreme 850w | Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW | Logitec x530 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Pre.64-bit