Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just got the board, and it's pretty cool, other than the fact that the NB fan is pretty loud, at least for me, and the TRUE doesn't fit in my case.

Would the Noctua fit?

Also, can I undervolt the NB fan?
Old January 9, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

see, that is why commenting on noise is soooo subjective. a couple of us say we can't hear it and it is way too loud for you. environment and our hearing plays such a role in that. the good news is you can turn the NB fan down i believe. in the PC Health Status > SmartFan Function section, AUX Fan Speed Control should be your NB fan control. by default it is set to 100% so just lower that until you can't hear it anymore. i wouldn't worry about lowering it too much as the NB i don't believe has heat issues or even plays a role much on these boards. HTH
Old January 9, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
i think i will test to see if sub-zero north bridge temps help QPI clocks which will in turn help with BCLK. i shall be posting some results same time tomorrow night if all goes well...
Love to hear how that goes. I'll be grabbing an X58 board soon enough, and if I thought wedging a little 30mm tec onto the NB would help, I'd figure out how to make it happen.
Old January 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'll be getting this same set-up next week, right down to the same Memory....question is, in the East / West True arrangement, the Fan is actually drawing air into the Trues Fins and the would be expelled out the back via a Exhaust Fan...is this correct?: I'm just looking at what would be best for my TJ09....I have a 120mm Exhaust out the back and 2 x 120 mm Exhaust out the top.

Old January 11, 2009, 02:23 AM

my legendary G.Skill HZ PC3-12800 kit took a turn for the worse a couple months ago as one of the twins had an untimely death. it served me well in both 790i boards from EVGA and my RE. well, tonight i gave life back into the other surviving member of that family and when teamed with my also legendary PC3-16000 kit of Crucial Ballistix, they took the EVGA X58 SLI down the same path its older 790i siblings did...Everest Ultimate bandwidth supremacy...

yeah i know, Everest bandwidth? who cares. but still, these numbers aren't going to showing up everyday in others results so it still is a milestone to crack 25K. well, with these new Elpida chips finding their way onto more PC3-16000 7-8-7 kits, these numbers might not be that impressive for long, but if only you could see the 4815MHz uncore that it took to get these numbers
Old January 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice work!
Old January 11, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I'll be getting this same set-up next week, right down to the same Memory....question is, in the East / West True arrangement, the Fan is actually drawing air into the Trues Fins and the would be expelled out the back via a Exhaust Fan...is this correct?: I'm just looking at what would be best for my TJ09....I have a 120mm Exhaust out the back and 2 x 120 mm Exhaust out the top
Question is: Will I be able to fit the HSF Fan onto the Dimm side of the True with my 3 x 2GB Dominator RAM Sticks? Wouldn't this be the best orientation thus "forcing" air through the True?

Old January 11, 2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Question is: Will I be able to fit the HSF Fan onto the Dimm side of the True with my 3 x 2GB Dominator RAM Sticks? Wouldn't this be the best orientation thus "forcing" air through the True?
yeah i saw your first post, just haven't had time to get a photo to show, the setup has clearly been busy doing other testing . i thought i mentioned somewhere that the east/west orientation allowed for all 6 slots to be used no problems, either way, here is your definitive answer...

even the black slots fit without an issue. whether this is the best depends on your setup. during testing for the Ultra-120 eXtreme, it appears that pushing air through the heat sink in this setup is in fact better than pulling on an open bench with no additional fans and 23C~25C ambients. better for VRM temps, and CPU temps. i always have a 120mm fan blowing over my memory so for me, pulling is better as i get the same effects of the push and the pull. HTH
Old January 11, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks 3oh..much appreciated!!

Old January 11, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just a quick couple of words of advice re: the build:
1. Is their any "key" things I should know to do prior to?, as in will installing all components, including all 3 Sticks RAM be relatively safe? Just reading some of the "issues" on the Evga Forum.
2. Is using the packaged Chipset Drivers and BIOS good enough to get going?
3. Any key issues installing Vista HP 64 Bit?

Thanks for your help.
My other components I'll be using are:
Corsair HX 1kW
1 x Raptor 74 GB (presently has my XP 32 Bit OS installed on it.
1 x 320 GB Barracuda (presently has an assortment of Data on it.
2 x GTX 280 SSC
2 x Optical SATA Drives (Samsung and Asus DVD RW)