Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great review. Good to see what i7 can do with several of the fastest single cards and to see a breakdown of the EVGA board.

Those fps in Crysis on very high are great to see. Finally starting to see hardware that can handle that game. I hadn't even thought about this board but the layout is great (not bothered about aircooling so the tight socket is a non issue) and it seems more solid than I'd expected.

Im going to wait a few more months before switching sockets but this board will be on my shortlist.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 7, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Excellent work Jody, I love that you include an Extreme Overclocking & Benching section. Your submissions brought you to 39th in the world, very nice. :) The voltage test points are pretty sweet huh? Nice to see manufacturers making things easier finally.
Old January 7, 2009, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

Excellent review, but I'm just wondering when you guys will review the ASUS P6T Deluxe

and maybe when you review it, you could compare it to the EVGA?
Old January 8, 2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post

Typo on core speed? And is that really the memory clock? Wow. Golden memory chips there.
core speed is correct, two of the three cards i had clocked really well, the third was a dog and killed Vantage results. but yes, i mixed up the memory and shader clocks...i wish the memory clocked like that .

Quote:
Interesting on the results for the PWM cooler. Especially when the Sekisui fell short of the stock tape. Is the Sekisui unusually thin, that couldn't conform to the irregular surfaces of the circuits? Or if the Evga stuff just that much better?
i think is simply comes down to the fact that the EVGA stuff provides full contact on the entire surface were as the thermal tape was just too thin to make up the gaps.

Quote:
Evga E-Leet: You can adjust the other stuff, does the software allow for adjustment of memory timings/subtimings?
just what we show can be adjusted. as far as i know, nothing can adjust memory timings on X58 at this point. all registers seemed to be locked.

Quote:
NB cooler: Any comparison for noise? Say, compared to a 800rpm 120mm fan, or something similar?
oh yeah, i never did make a comment on the north bridge fan. perhaps that is because i honestly haven't heard it. it really doesn't seem to make any noise at all now that i think about it and i usually had SmartFan control off so it clipped along at full tilt, 4K RPM if memory serves me correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
What an excellent review on the board, covered A to Z.. Very nice and neat packing by eVGA.. Wow..

thanks, and yes, the package is super clean. normally the plastic shells just 'keep' the motherboard in place. this one HOLDS it in place. there is absolutely no movement of the motherboard when the shell is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xytras View Post
Just ordered a few days ago an EVGA X58, 12GB Cosair Dominator, and the ultra-120. Is there any way to position the ultra-120 so you can get the full 12GB of ram in?
check the review again if you haven't already. we added the section i forgot to put in with the TRUE orientation photos and discussion, should provide all the answers you need. with the fan in East/West orientation, you will have no problems running all 6 DIMMs of Dominators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Excellent work Jody, I love that you include an Extreme Overclocking & Benching section. Your submissions brought you to 39th in the world, very nice. :) The voltage test points are pretty sweet huh? Nice to see manufacturers making things easier finally.
thanks Zac. first time i have had a quad core so got a bit of boost in global points there but i still have a lot of global points to make up. PCMark 05 i have basically nothing so that would be an easy 30-40 points if i had i-RAMs...but without, there is no point in even running the bench. the next step is trying to get in the top 30...that is going to be tough with limited time and GPU access.

as for the EVGA, the test points are really nice but just in a difficult spot. i guess it all depends on the orientation of the board but for me, soldering the leads on was a must. with that said, a monkey hopped up on crack and jack daniels could solder leads to the test points so it is much easier than having to solder test leads all over the board. the REII is still the best setup for that sort of thing but it is definitely a step in the right direction. EVGA has really impressed me with the last few boards of theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
Excellent review, but I'm just wondering when you guys will review the ASUS P6T Deluxe

and maybe when you review it, you could compare it to the EVGA?
i can't comment on whether or not someone is working on the P6T Deluxe or if it is in the works, but i can say that we don't compare motherboards here at HWC. benchmarks of similar chipsets will provide similar results the majority, if not all the time. instead we try to focus on details of a single board, then let you compare those details between the two reviews and make your decision based on your needs.
Old January 8, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome review! I have this board and it is simply amazing. About the true on this board I can confirm that it can be installed in all directions. You can also have 6 sticks of tall ddr3 ram if ya wanted to. Have had zero crashes or anything in the past two days I have had it up and running. The only problem I had was my old enermax galaxy 1000watt psu didn't like this board for some reason. The alarm would go off in two short beeps. Turns out the psu doesn't like nvidia boards but this is an x58 board. Oh well. So I got the 1000HX and it is an awesome psu much better then my old psu so I am happy in the end. New revisions of the galaxy 1000w are fixed. I am loving my tri-sli setup and temps are great.

About the northbridge fan I can not hear it and it keeps the northbridge cooler then my old p6t. So far I am liking this board a lot better then my old p6t deluxe board and would recommend this over the old board for many reasons like tri sli support and way better customer service

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 8, 2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
About the northbridge fan I can not hear it and it keeps the northbridge cooler then my old p6t. So far I am liking this board a lot better then my old p6t deluxe board and would recommend this over the old board for many reasons like tri sli support and way better customer service
just a note, the NB temperature reading in Windows is actually the CPU reading...same as your LED display reading. apparently the board can only read either the NB or the CPU temperature, but not both. when in the BIOS, it alternates between CPU and NB temp readings so in the BIOS the NB temperature is correct, but not Windows...it is locked on the CPU reading. EVGA may possibly put an option in the BIOS for the board to display the CPU or NB temp. it would be nice since we can get core readings of the CPU, which are more accurate anyway.
Old January 9, 2009, 01:52 AM

since the EVGA Mad QPI contest is getting close to ending, i figure i should spend a little time on the highest BCLK i can get with this combo of EVGA X58 SLI and my 965 processor. tonight i slapped the phase on for a little QPI'ing and this is what i came up with...

224.7MHz BCLK

a decent clock for sure, but nothing jaw dropping. from the sounds of the EVGA crew in their forums, it won't be enough to win so there is still more work to do. i think i will test to see if sub-zero north bridge temps help QPI clocks which will in turn help with BCLK. i shall be posting some results same time tomorrow night if all goes well...
Old January 9, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What kind of BCLK are they thinking they will get ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 9, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was under the impression that getting more than 233 was practically impossible, but it could be that it just hasn't been done yet
Old January 9, 2009, 10:02 AM

someone on a DFI has pushed out a 233BCLK or something along those lines. that is the highest i have seen. this morning after a little more work i have improved mine substantially, but i want to keep my cards close to my vest so i'll be saving the publication just yet. but you can bet i found a way past my wall of 224.7 BCLK and with HT and all 4 cores enabled still