Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2008, 12:17 PM
Rookie

Default E8400 very high temp on P5Q PRO

Hi All, I am having great difficulty with my new build and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Currently using the ASUS P5Q Pro using E8400 CPU with stock HSF, applied AS5 before mounting. I have installed Vista and everything runs fine EXCEPT the temperature seen with RealTemp is extraordinarily high.

When I first got the setup running, I immediately ran RealTemp and saw the CPU is around 90+ degrees. I am not over clocking and everything is set to default values. For some reason, RealTemp reports my clock speed as 2 GhZ (333x6). The CPU stays at 90+ degrees without running any programs HOWEVER there is a CONSTAT load of around 40%.
Old December 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
Rookie

(posting again so I can post images, need to have more than 1 post)

My first impression was that I did not have an updated BIOS so I flashed the BIOS with the latest version. My CPU temp then dropped to around 80+ degrees. However, RealTemp still records the clock speed as 2 GhZ and I was thinking that the auto settings on the mobo were wrong so I manually set the clock speed to 333x9.0 and also the CPU voltage to 1.06875.

So when I go into BIOS, the temp is around 60+ degrees.

I went back into Vista and the clock setting of RealTemp FLUCUTATES between 2GhZ and 3GhZ but there is again a CONSTANT load on the CPU

Heres a pic just to show that I do not have any processes running in the background:

So Im stuck as to know what to do next. Im a novice with the BIOS settings and Im not sure if I have all the correct settings. Also, I suspect that this may be a jumper setting on the mobo but Im a complete novice to what those jumpers mean. Does anyone have any hints as to whats wrong?
Old December 23, 2008, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect

Did you properly clean the stock thermal grease on the hsf?
If so, reseat the stock hsf you probably didnt get one of the push pins in correctly...

[edit]
regarding the conastant load, that doesnt seem right...
the 2GHz doesnt seem right either, if you're hard setting it at 333x9 that should be 3GHz, turn off speed step...but do that after you reseat the HSF
Old December 23, 2008, 01:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzEr View Post
Did you properly clean the stock thermal grease on the hsf?
If so, reseat the stock hsf you probably didnt get one of the push pins in correctly...

[edit]
regarding the conastant load, that doesnt seem right...
the 2GHz doesnt seem right either, if you're hard setting it at 333x9 that should be 3GHz, turn off speed step...but do that after you reseat the HSF
I cleaned the thermal grease off the hsf before apply AS5

I've also applied pressure onto the HSF while in BIOS to see if the temperature would go down but it doesnt move which I assume the HSF is on properly (yes the pins are down)

Also, how would one turn off speed step?
Old December 23, 2008, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Take latest version on RealTemp and you'll see 5C more on cores.
As I see your Core0 was in throttling because high temperature. This happens at 2C close to 100C.
Check your push-pins at least one is not proper seated.
After you carefully check your heatsink do a CPU Cool Down test from RealTemp and at the end post here a screenshot.
2GHz is 333x6. In idle it's OK that's EIST/C1E in action, multiplier and Vcore drop to save energy. It's a feature not a bug.
Old December 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Here is the screen shot using the latest real temp

Is it me or does real temp say I have 0% load and task manage say I have 44% load?

I am not sure how to do a CPU Cool Down test. How do I do that?

And what does "throttling" mean and how can you see that it was doing this? Does this damage the CPU in any way?
Old December 23, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

See that button "Show processes from all users" press it, the application you seek (thats using 40%) is in there.

As for the high temps, I'd say re-seat it again, clean all the grease off and try again. Also check that all the push pins are in correctly, etc. It just sounds like a bad mount.
Old December 23, 2008, 01:30 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

How much AS5 do you use?
Old December 23, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quick question John^^.. Isn't the distance to TJMax supposed to be higher than what's shown in RealTemp. It could be a stuck temp sensor in the processor, these 45nm processors have known issues on sensors and misreading of temps.

Maybe try overclock a little to clear the temp, anyways if the cpu gets too hot, the board will automatically shut down..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 23, 2008, 01:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

First of all take a look in Task Manager and see what process is eating your CPU. After you're in 1% load (idle) do what I'm saying below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends123 View Post
I am not sure how to do a CPU Cool Down test. How do I do that?
Press Sensor test and you will see this

Name:  CPU_cool_down.png
Views: 1741
Size:  40.9 KB

Now if you have prime95 or Orthos installed press Start select it from where is installed and test will begin. It last 10 minutes so leave computer alone. If you don't have prime95 then press that Download prime95 button.

Name:  CPU_cool_down2.png
Views: 1705
Size:  72.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends123 View Post
And what does "throttling" mean and how can you see that it was doing this? Does this damage the CPU in any way?
Throttling means that your CPU will underclock to prevent overheating.
In RealTemp you'll have a red HOT on Thermal Status area.
And if you really want to see throttling frequency take RMClock and in Monitoring tab watch that magenta line. If those values are not equal (red and magenta) and magenta is smaller then you're in throttle. I just simulate throttle with my E8400 to show you. This is throttle

Name:  throttle.png
Views: 1724
Size:  31.0 KB

And this is normal operation

Name:  normal.png
Views: 1613
Size:  33.8 KB