Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2008, 01:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default What motherboard has really good onboard sound?

I am thinking the P5Q-E has really good onboard sound, but is there anything similar, but cheaper?
Old December 22, 2008, 01:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I think the best onboard sound out there has to come from ASUS' SupremeFX
Old December 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah my guess would be the SupremeFX. Dedicated PCIe card for audio instead of having it directly on the motherboard. Should help with the noise and what not in theory.

Only thing is, it only comes with the Republic of Gamer's boards, aka the Maximus/Rampage series which cost a pretty penny.

The SupremeFX X-Fi even goes as far to include some Creative technologies though I'm not sure if its hardware based or not. Probably just software. It comes with the Maximus II Formula (P45 chipset) which is basically a high-end version of the P5Q-E/Deluxe.

If you want good sound, just get a sound card IMO. They're only like $100 or so.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect

I need a mobo with built in onboard sound as good as a P5Q-E at same or cheaper price point.
Old December 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

To be honest onboard audio is subpar on all levels.

For the cost of a board you could pick up something like the Xonar from Asus and have much better sound overall.
Old December 22, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If your picky about music, its best to spend a little more for a decent sound card like one of tose 32bit xonar and it also depends on what headphones/speakers your gonna used for it. If you have high end speakers/headphones you will notice the difference. I too have the p5q series, not sure if the onboard's sound the same as the p5q-e, but i personally think the mid range are not that good on it.

since your gonna use a low end board, most of them dont have that great of a onboard, if your looking for a decent cheap soundcard, take a look at the creative sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio, these cost around $40 bucks

Last edited by Silvgearx; December 22, 2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old December 22, 2008, 03:37 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

So the short answer is, there is nothing in your price range that has good onboard sound. It is passable though.
Old December 22, 2008, 04:39 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
If your picky about music, its best to spend a little more for a decent sound card like one of tose 32bit xonar and it also depends on what headphones/speakers your gonna used for it. If you have high end speakers/headphones you will notice the difference. I too have the p5q series, not sure if the onboard's sound the same as the p5q-e, but i personally think the mid range are not that good on it.

since your gonna use a low end board, most of them dont have that great of a onboard, if your looking for a decent cheap soundcard, take a look at the creative sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio, these cost around $40 bucks
The P5Q-E, Deluxe and other high end Asus boards use the ADI AD2000B for audio, the P5Q Pro and below use the Realtek ALC1200 chipset...