Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2008, 07:59 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Question What Is The Best Enthusiast X58-based Mobo...?

As the subject says, "What Is The Best Enthusiast X58-based Mobo...?"
Old December 17, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Really can't go wrong with any of the ASUS, gigagbyte or EVGA offerings- just look at the features and layouts and service offerings and see which you prefer.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Really can't go wrong with any of the ASUS, gigagbyte or EVGA offerings- just look at the features and layouts and service offerings and see which you prefer.
I noticed that you have a P6T, what is the difference between it and the Rampage II Extreme...?
Old December 17, 2008, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

Anandtech has a good roundup of several x58 motherboards, including the Asus P6T:

AnandTech: Intel X58 Motherboard Roundup - What does $300 Get You?

Tweaktown has reviewed both the P6T and the Rampage II Extreme, which will help you get a feel for both boards:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme X58 Motherboard :: TweakTown

ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition X58 Motherboard :: TweakTown
Old December 18, 2008, 06:19 PM
MVP

I really like the Rampage 2 Extreme, the colour scheme looks really nice and the bios is very well organized and easy to use, especially if you are familiar with Asus boards. Tons of features as well, Probeit is nice for accurate voltage readings and while the Tweakit buttons on the side are rather gimmicky, I do like the big red start button.

Im running my 920 at just a tad over 4 GHZ and it was a breeze to overclock. Had it as high as 4.4, though pushing some major voltage and heat.

I've alse heard good things about the Gigabyte EX58-Extreme from a few friends. I was torn between this board and the R2E, it has some nice features as well. In the end I went with the Asus due to the fact that their boards have always treated me nice and I'm familiar with their BIOS's. I believe the R2E is the highest priced of the enthusiast boards, so if you looking to save $50-$100 go with the Gigabyte.
Old December 18, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Most people, outside of the hardcore phase and LN2 users, seem to be banging the limits of their CPU's or cooling systems, so you'd probably do best to compare their feature-sets and layouts, and pick the one that works best.