Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   installing a motherboard (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/12970-installing-motherboard.html)

Defiant December 17, 2008 06:34 AM

installing a motherboard

okay so i have been installing my motherboard and im short on screw and one washer. So my question is ... is it okay with one mounting bracket not to have a screw in or should i take the mobo out and remove the extra bracket?

sswilson December 17, 2008 06:39 AM

I'm not completely sure what bracket you are talking about..... Do you mean the stand-offs that raise the motherboard off of the tray?

If so, as long as the stand-off is in the proper location for a screw you should be ok, but you really should try to track down another screw. The key here is to ensure that all of the stand-offs line up with a screwhole on the motherboard... if they don't you risk shorting out one of the traces/solder points on the bottom of the motherboard.

Defiant December 17, 2008 06:45 AM

thats what i mean the standoff. yeah it does line up perfectly. im pretty sure i can find another screw but do i need a washer or is it okay as long as its not touching the pbc or soldering on the motherboard

sswilson December 17, 2008 06:51 AM

Unless you're using a verrrryyyyy old motherboard you don't need washers at all. If you look at your motherboard chances are you'll see a metal ring around the screw hole which (to the best of my knowledge) grounds the motherboard to your case through the screw.

Exmortis December 17, 2008 06:51 AM

It depends which standoff, is it close to another so theboard is still supported? Or is it all out by itself. I would remove the stand off if it is metal, if I though it wouldnt weaken the board too much. A short is bad news. Usually you can find another screw that fits in the slot. Some of your mounting screws for other hardware will fit, do not force a thread that doesn't fit or use a screw that will not tighten.

Good luck!

Defiant December 17, 2008 07:03 AM

yes my mobo does have the metal rings around the holes i was just wondering because i got washers with my bag of screws.

sswilson December 17, 2008 07:06 AM

IMO, all that using washers to secure your motherboard does is increase the chance that you're going to drop one and it's going to end up shorting something out inside your case. :)

DarKStar December 17, 2008 11:29 AM

I would recommend properly securing your entire motherboard to the 9 holes, that's why they are there - so that when you remove a card from a slot or other that the board stays tightly secured to the case and not warp/bend - and no you do not need the washer anymore - just make sure the motherboard is properly secured but do not over tight the screws.

3 of 7 December 17, 2008 01:38 PM

Try stealing a mounting screw from your HD, if it's a fine thread standoff try one from your cd.. They'll both be fine with three screws.
If you live anywhere near Nanaimo I'll give you a pocketfull.