Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2008, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Default Asus P6T X58 Deluxe Westmere 32nm compatible?

Hi, so basically im lookin to invest in a new rig, and need the longest upgrade path as i dont upgrade often. does anyone know if motherboards such as the Asus P6T X58 Deluxe will be supporting westmere 32nm as they use the same socket?
Old December 7, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

They're supposed to, if I'm not mistaken. The only caveat is that we don't know (to my knowledge) of any refinements or developments in the meantime. Similar to how the Penryn family of chips required certain standards in the motherboards in order for the newer low-power states to work properly, it's not impossible that current X58 offerings might fall short in that area. But beyond that, a BIOS flash would probably do it, similar to the situation on the LGA775 boards.
Old December 7, 2008, 04:05 PM
Rookie

im thinkin it may take more than a bios flash to support westmere, because current x58 boards are so immature, as is nehalem. i think u will see many more boards being released in the near future.

im stuck in a shit time to upgrade as i dont want to go half way with a good 775 board because its a dead end, and nehalem is so expensive at the moment as its new. i should wait for the westmere die shrink as prices and boards would have leveled out.

but the sound of bloomfield with a westmere compatible board sounds very tempting?

but then again theres the argument that an upgrade is only a real upgrade if u invest a complete new rig. as ditching bloomfield for westmere in the future wont have a drastic increase in performance?

im so confused