Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect

Default EVGA X58 Vs Asus P6T X58 Deluxe

I noticed that their prices are almost the same.
Asus P6T can support up to 1666MHZ for ram and EVGA X58 1333MHZ.
Other than that, I don't know the minor details and how they affect performance.
So, which one do you think is a better choice?
Old December 4, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They both will run 1666 RAM- just at OC for the 1333, but it's essentially no difference.

It's hard to say which is better- if you want to run tri SLI go with the EVGA, if you want great support, go with evga

I'd say that the p6t is a slightly safer route in terms of an undoubtedly solid board, but I haven't heard about any real issues with either, other than the PCIe slot arrangement on the asus.

If you're a water cooler, I'll bet there's going to be better waterblocks available for the evag chipset- for ASUS, efforts will likely be focused on the high end (rampage 2 ex etc)- noone will be making full coverage blocks fo rthe p6t because to the two caps right over the north bridge, although I did see a custom one.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:30 AM
Top Prospect

Thank you for you answer Babrbarossa.
You wrote "They both will run 1666 RAM- just at OC for the 1333, but it's essentially no difference." I don't understand what this mean. Could you tell me once more in other words, please? (what do you mean by OC?) Do you mean EVGA X58 will run 1666MHZ if I overclock it? How can I overclock it that way?

Thanks again.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
Thank you for you answer Babrbarossa.
You wrote "They both will run 1666 RAM- just at OC for the 1333, but it's essentially no difference." I don't understand what this mean. Could you tell me once more in other words, please? (what do you mean by OC?) Do you mean EVGA X58 will run 1666MHZ if I overclock it? How can I overclock it that way?

Thanks again.
What he means is that you can manually enter the speed of the RAM to 1666 without any issues. They will both support 1666 RAM, thou it is "technically" overclocking the motherboard. I'd say get the EVGA if your going to SLi, and the P6T if your gonna crossfire.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:41 AM
Top Prospect

How do I go about overclocking my motherboard so that it will support 1666Ram?
Do I need a strong power supply or something? I'm planning to use stock heat sink for Intel Core i7 920
Old December 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
How do I go about overclocking my motherboard so that it will support 1666Ram?
Do I need a strong power supply or something? I'm planning to use stock heat sink for Intel Core i7 920
It looks like your planing on building a whole new rig, correct? I'd suggest that you create ONE thread to put all your questions in so you aren't creating 40million threads for every little thing.

That said, to answer your question, you would simply go into the BIOS, go to wherever the memory settings are and simply set it to 1666, literally, its that easy. Now I can't/won't go into a detailed response on what you need to do as its different from motherboard to motherboard, but thats the basic idea.

When you finally build your system theres many helpful people here who can help you out with tweaking your system to get the most out of it.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect

Alright. Thanks. One more question. When I overclock that way, can I get away with using stock heat sink for intel core i7 920? Since I don't overclock cpu. It makes sense to me that way. But I'm not sure fully. I will just open a thread shortly once I get the stuff and ask questions that way. Thanks again.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Alright. Thanks. One more question. When I overclock that way, can I get away with using stock heat sink for intel core i7 920? Since I don't overclock cpu. It makes sense to me that way. But I'm not sure fully. I will just open a thread shortly once I get the stuff and ask questions that way. Thanks again.
If you buy a kit of ram rated for 1666, then you are not overclocking it at all, what we are saying is that it will have to be set in the "overclocking" section of the motherboard bios. If your not overclocking the CPU, then no you will not need anything more than the stock cooler.

I still highly recommend you create a build thread, you'll be able to ask about which products are better, how to install/use them, questions about them, how they work, and etc. It will be much better easier for us to answer your multiple questions without having to the clutter up the forums.
Old December 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And I would recommend getting a decent aftermarket cooler and spending an hour learning how to overclock that beast- a shame not to- In five minutes, you can turn you $375 cpu into faster than a $1200 cpu
Old December 4, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
And I would recommend getting a decent aftermarket cooler and spending an hour learning how to overclock that beast- a shame not to- In five minutes, you can turn you $375 cpu into faster than a $1200 cpu
Yup literally I spent less then a minute in the bios and got a 1.4ghz overclock(4ghz total)

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."