Rookie

Default Why does my new computer suck?

I could really use your help guys.
I just upgraded from:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor S939 Manchester 2Ghz 512KBX2 90NM
OCZ Performance PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL3-3-3-8 184PIN
ASUS A8R-MVP ATX S939 RX200 Crossfire DDR

to:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail
ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 CrossFire Motherboard
Buffalo Firestix FSX1066D2C-K2G 2GB 2X1GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory

I've freshly formatted my computer a couple of times, and yet applications take a long time to load. Multi-tasking is extremely slow, and bootup time is poor also. Could something be defective? Did I buy bad RAM? My RAM never gets fully utilized, but my CPU usage is always reported as being high 50-60%. I'd upgrade to 4GB RAM if it would make a difference, but I'm only using 32bit XP anyway so it wouldn't really make that much difference.

Anyone have any thoughts? I could really use the advice.

Thanks!
Old November 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Have you added the Microsoft dual core hot-fix and edited the registry after-wards?

Also make sure you've installed all the latest Chipset drivers, netframework etc.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What OS are you running?

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old November 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
Rookie

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.
I have not heard of that dual-core registry fix for Windows XP but I will try that as soon as I get home.

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 32Bit (w/ all updates from the MicrosoftUpdate performed).

If it could be software related, maybe I'll just install Vista. I'm pretty indifferent to which OS I use.

I should probably try some RAM-testing software first. Is there a standard RAM testing software program anyone could recommend?
Old November 28, 2008, 11:47 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Check out Task Manager; a process is eating your CPU cycles and Ram. Not good.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:48 AM
Allstar

hmmm, i think your cpu utilization is telling you that you got a hole somewhere. My first geuss is is that your somehow getting nasty mal ware of some sorts before you can get your AV up properly. My first question, is if it the build order thats causing the security breach, if in fact thats the issue, I hope your not on cable inet. Casue that the most likely place to get nasty malware, its in the way their network is built. Would have to install OS ----> AV-----> update AV before OS updates..
Or, your windows is really fracked up.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:48 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by orklykid View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.
I have not heard of that dual-core registry fix for Windows XP but I will try that as soon as I get home.

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 32Bit (w/ all updates from the MicrosoftUpdate performed).

If it could be software related, maybe I'll just install Vista. I'm pretty indifferent to which OS I use.

I should probably try some RAM-testing software first. Is there a standard RAM testing software program anyone could recommend?
memtest86+, or Memtest for Windows.
Old November 28, 2008, 01:47 PM
Rookie

Interesting. Okay great, well I guess I'll use Memtest and make sure the RAM is okay. And I guess there isn't really any reason to think it's the CPU or Motherboard. So maybe I'll just try reformatting again, and not plugging in my cable internet until I've installed AV. Although I am behind a router so I hoped that would protect me in some way, I usually apply AV updates for NOD32 right after I format.

Maybe I'll just try Vista as well, see how it works with that.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll let you know!
Old November 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by orklykid View Post
I could really use your help guys.
I just upgraded from:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor S939 Manchester 2Ghz 512KBX2 90NM
OCZ Performance PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL3-3-3-8 184PIN
ASUS A8R-MVP ATX S939 RX200 Crossfire DDR

to:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail
ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 CrossFire Motherboard
Buffalo Firestix FSX1066D2C-K2G 2GB 2X1GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory

I've freshly formatted my computer a couple of times, and yet applications take a long time to load. Multi-tasking is extremely slow, and bootup time is poor also. Could something be defective? Did I buy bad RAM? My RAM never gets fully utilized, but my CPU usage is always reported as being high 50-60%. I'd upgrade to 4GB RAM if it would make a difference, but I'm only using 32bit XP anyway so it wouldn't really make that much difference.

Anyone have any thoughts? I could really use the advice.

Thanks!
that is something else , use task manager or better yet download and install process manager then load it up and see which process's are running so hi when you find them right click ( one ) and search to see what it is. also Vista has so much crap on it I wouldn't use it unless you have at least 4gb ram because vista very rarely runs less then 30 process's I use xp x64 pro and right now I am using torrents ff webbrowser converting a couple of avi's to dvd and un raring other files and my process 's are at 25 when I first log in I only have 18 process's running which includes antivir and Peergaurdian2

if you find that there are allot of process's running check out what they are using process manager and turn them off if you don't need them. I am thinking you either have a virus or Nod is running in the back ground
Old November 28, 2008, 03:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Way back in the Athlon XP days, I had gotten a combo deal from TigerDirect with an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton along with some Soyo motherboard. To say the least, once I got it all setup and running, task manager was always at 100% for me (only single core CPU, so 50% for dual core seems right), it ended up being the motherboard that was messed up somehow. Replaced it with an ASUS and all was good, so maybe, just maybe, your whole motherboard is buggered. Though I'd try the usual clear CMOS and update the BIOS to the latest before considering that it's a faulty board.

Oh one more thing, no process was actually using 100%, other than the System Idle Process (which it should). So look carefully at task manager and see if it's an actual process taking all the CPU.

I don't think disconnecting from the Internet is really going to do anything. It's unlikley you'd get a virus right after installing Windows unless your using some pirated software or going to bad sites right off the bat.