Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2007, 02:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Ace in the HOLE!!! You know you wanted to say it.... And i Agree. AMD is up to something and should start giving their customers/investors some teasers soon before all the hardcore gamers go INTEL for their speed fix (like a drug,lol)
It's not the hardcore gamers that are the problem (They're a relatively small market share who account more for good PR than for actual sales) , it's middle of the line folks like me who just couldn't wait any longer.... (Pity after 15 years of solid AMD fandom).

IMO, they've already lost that battle and (in the same theme as the article) need to offer some glimmer of hope before it's too late to recover.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- but that said, I still don't think it's a mistake to go AMD right now. I think CMetaphor's upgrade path is very viable and kinda exciting because he'll be able to park a barcelona in that board when they come, and it seems that there isn't going to be the HT performance hit that people were predicting with these exisitng chipsets.
Old May 21, 2007, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Time to revive this dying thread, LOL!

I had 4 C2D systems before I decided to build my current PC. If I never run a benchmark, I cannot tell the difference in real world use between my AMD and ANY C2D machine I had. Of course the C2D machines pounded this AMD into the dust with any benchmark, but for normal 24/7 use, and I mean lots of heavy gaming, there is just no noticeable gains from C2D and no noticeable losses running AMD.

I am praying they do give me Barcelona and let it run well on my board. I too don't see AMD catching Intel with their pants down. In fact, I still find it amazing that Intel couldn't pull their pants back up for almost 2 years. If it wasn't for the Dothan, we may all still be speaking AMD.......

Anyhow, all I can say is I want Barcelona. I very much doubt their will be a mass migration to AMD even if it is faster, but I am sure there will be some. I for one will just be happy to have a super fast AMD because I always prefer to root for the underdog.
Old May 21, 2007, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Next months will be interesting! Hell next year will be too if Crysis can get out!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old October 20, 2007, 12:30 AM
Top Prospect

You guy's think that AMD's top people are all bunkered in the board room waiting for Intel to stop shelling them?

Not likely. Sure they're behind right now but that's how it goes. Someone has to be ahead and someone behind and it isn't always AMD and it isn't always Intel, they cannot be perfectly balanced 100% of the time or else IMHO progress would be slower as there'd be no one to push the other, these two clown college's need each other. Intel is your father's processor and AMD is the processor who is always playing the music too loud in his room and refuses to turn it down.

I personally like to have a choice. Do we want a world where Intel tells us to pay and we have no other choice? Ala Microshaft? [sic] I don't.

I always take Anandtech articles with a grain of salt. It is obvious that they receive some sort of incentive to do the reviews that they do and the articles they write. I find it a miracle that this one is favorable of AMD for a change.

That's enough soapboxing for one day.
Old October 20, 2007, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You Go!
Old October 23, 2007, 07:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
You guy's think that AMD's top people are all bunkered in the board room waiting for Intel to stop shelling them?

Not likely. Sure they're behind right now but that's how it goes. Someone has to be ahead and someone behind and it isn't always AMD and it isn't always Intel, they cannot be perfectly balanced 100% of the time or else IMHO progress would be slower as there'd be no one to push the other, these two clown college's need each other. Intel is your father's processor and AMD is the processor who is always playing the music too loud in his room and refuses to turn it down.

I personally like to have a choice. Do we want a world where Intel tells us to pay and we have no other choice? Ala Microshaft? [sic] I don't.

I always take Anandtech articles with a grain of salt. It is obvious that they receive some sort of incentive to do the reviews that they do and the articles they write. I find it a miracle that this one is favorable of AMD for a change.

That's enough soapboxing for one day.
Agreed. I prefer AMD (the rationale for which is substantially leaning on market modus) and I'm going to persevere through all of this. I like AMD for their usually relaxed approach to selling their products based solely on quality and performance. I've never seen an advertisement in print, radio, or television discretely pampering AMD chips like they descended from heavens and can accomplish tasks their competitors never could (I'm making an allusion to some of Intel's advertisements) except for for one or two during the reign of K8 and those one or two ads were for the enthusiast Athlon FX family, which doesn't really count anyway due to their microscopic sales volumes. There are only advertisements by AMD's business partners about their AMD-powered business solutions. In spite of the sparsity of said advertisements, K8s were incredibly popular; and people wonder how they did that.

**edit: cool, you live in Brampton!

Last edited by Amon; October 23, 2007 at 07:44 PM.