Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2006, 11:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default Quad Cores are official: Core 2 Extreme QX6700

Anandtech has a great review up:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2866

Now, not that I'm itching to buy a $1200USD processor anytime soon - but hopefully this will spark some more SMP enabled programs in the future.
Old November 5, 2006, 01:17 AM
Misoprostol

Honestly I don't see the point of a quad core processor at this this time. When dual core came out, there was a tangible increase in day to day usefulness of anyone's computer. Simply using Windows Explorer and WMP10 at the same time became faster. I've played around with a Kentsfield a little bit, and I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed. I mean, it's fast, but I wouldn't exactly trade in my 3.6GHz Core 2 Duo for one for $1000.... If you're going to buy an X6800 anyway, then go for it I guess, but I don't really know how useful it's going to be unless you're a CAD artist.

Don't get me wrong here, I had many a heated argument with people who figured dual core was pointless when it came out. I was one of the first in Canada to pick one up. As soon as NCIX had stock I grabbed one, but I won't be doing the same thing for quad core.

my $0.02
Old November 5, 2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
Honestly I don't see the point of a quad core processor at this this time. When dual core came out, there was a tangible increase in day to day usefulness of anyone's computer. Simply using Windows Explorer and WMP10 at the same time became faster. I've played around with a Kentsfield a little bit, and I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed. I mean, it's fast, but I wouldn't exactly trade in my 3.6GHz Core 2 Duo for one for $1000.... If you're going to buy an X6800 anyway, then go for it I guess, but I don't really know how useful it's going to be unless you're a CAD artist.

my $0.02
I think you hit the nail on the head. Other than graphic artists or others who run programs that can take advantage of programs run ngMulti-threads, it's going to be overkill. We are still quite a ways away from games taking advantage of 4 cores but they should be showing up on the next 12-24 months.