Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 780i from ncix

Just wondered if anyone else has had any problems with mobo's from ncix recently. I opened up a "new" evga 780i yesterday and as I was preping it for WC'ing a couple of things just didn't look right. First thing I always look at is the serial # sticker, this one has a second sticker placed over the original which makes me think its a previously rma'd board. Second is this rather ugly looking stain that runs from one end to the other on the back (was going to include a pick but batteries were dead), almost looks like a salt stain and its sort of rough to the touch. The last thing is the damn thing is bowed right smack dab in the middle!! I decided to power it up barebones to see what happens and it seemed ok so I installed it without WC'ing and 1 stick of ram and 1 gpu, powered it up and it posted slower than my first Tandy 1000 from '86!!. I called evga and talked with a tech for more than 1/2 an hr and by the end of our conversation it finally made it to the bios screen! Needless to say, we both think its a repacked rma'd board. If this is what ncix is sending out as "new" then something is seriously wrong!!

Any thoughts or comments?

Old November 15, 2008, 11:20 AM
Banned
F@H

I have recieved serval "new" but used boards, RD600, which I RMA'ed, P5WDH, which I RMA'ed, and Maximus Formula SE, which i RMA'ed.

Each time I got a NEW board as replacement.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This was supposed to be a NEW board, at least thats what I paid for, I just don't think it is a NEW one.

Old November 15, 2008, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Send it back!! My Board from Direct Canada was "crisp n clean"...hell, even "smelled" new..hahahaha, did the Serial # on the Board match the Serial # on the box? Did you have any problems registering the Board?

Old November 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I will be sending it back all right but my point is if ncix is resorting to sending out rma'd boards and charging as new well, thats just not right and its not the first time I've run into this, 3 of the last 5 boards I've got from them I believe they were used or rma'd. Anyhow, to me its just not good business.

Old November 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hey Kruzn
I would be pretty upset too...even if the board posted and worked fine I would send the sucker back. That stain on the back seems pretty sloppy too.
I buy some things from Ncix but I would rather buy from a local shop. Canada Computers and Infonec are both close by and have good prices and selection, and if something is terribly wrong out of the box, then you can just head straight back to the store. Happened to me at the wild wild Pacific Mall Canada Computers; bought the original Crosshair board, when I got to my car I took a peek, saw that it was an opened box, and went straight back in and told the guy who got me the board I wanted a brand new one. Shipping back is a pita...
Fold for team #54196
Old November 15, 2008, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally I have had no such "issues" with either NCIX or DC...but that information is good to know, I always scrutinize my products on arrival....both NCIX and DC are only 1 day away by Postal Express so returns have been quite painless.....that is not good if NCIX has resorted to these tactics though...keep us posted as to how they respond to you .......!

Old November 15, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

This could have nothing to do with ncix and a lot to do with evga.

So don't hold complete blame on ncix or dc.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually enaberif, I had that same thought which is why I called evga, after speaking to a couple of guys there for quite some time I tend to think (on this occasion anyway) it has more to do with ncix only because just the appearance of this board screams out repack. I truly don't think evga would let a board like this go out the door, I could be wrong though.

I know the guys over at Ajax Canada Computers VERY well Chris (I'm a 5 min walk away), they are great to deal with and I buy there whenever I can but I HATE paying PST!..lol...and although their prices are good on some things, they just don't compare or compete on others. I don't mind returning stuff to ncix (free ground shipping with pp) it's the time involved more than anything but my new best friend Ryuji looks after me pretty well so I have no complaints in that area.I'm really just losing faith in these Nvidia "high end" boards, if I get another one it'll be my 4th since May!! I'm thinking I might take a shot at Asus Striker II Extreme, if ncix accepts a price match for $367.56 instead of their price of $573.67 I might just give it a try. Unfortunately there really isn't alot of choice with SLI boards so maybe it's time to move over to the "Red Side". After building a Asus Rampage Extreme with a 4870 x2 for a client this past week I'm really starting to lead toward ATI. Oh well, I'll see how it plays out with the Striker II, if ncix matches I'll go for it, if not, I'll probably just pick another 780i over at CC and try it again.

Old November 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
Banned
F@H

BEcuase of things liek this happening, I started taking videos and pictures of myself opening boxes as they arrive. I have found thermal paste in sockets, dusty components(great for vga fans), missing box seals, lack of original wrapping, etc.

However, out of all of this, only teh Maximus FOrmula Se was non-functional.

CPUs I ALWAYS buy locally...one specific shop I go to tends to get REALLY GOOD Intel chips, another gets good AMD chips.

I think memory is the most common item i have recieved already opened, and to be honest, when it comes to value mems, I've had more luck with opened packages then sealed ones...