Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Gigabyte X48 DQ6 - removing crazy cool

From the instructions in the manuel it seems pretty easy to remove the crazy cool heatsink from the back of the board so I can use a non-push pin cpu heatsink. I figure while I'm at it might as well remove the whole Silentpipe cooling system and apply some better paste. It's mostly screws except here where it's two of those white plastic pins. How do you remove these pins without damaging them?
Attached Images

Old November 12, 2008, 09:52 PM

squeeze them together from the back (I use my fingernails) and then they should pop out on their own. If it looks like the latches have disengaged, but it still won't pop through, use a plastic/rubber tool to push it through from the back of the board.

Be careful when they pop out. They can fly amazing distances.
Old November 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

What Linus said - I use pliers myself, but that's because I replace them with bolts, but pliers can permanently flatten the barbs if you're not careful, making them unusable.

And whatever genius at Gigabyte thought sticking a chunk of copper right behind the CPU socket on a performance board was a good idea...
Old November 13, 2008, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks guys. I'll give it a "gentle" try. If I was to damage them, is there anywhere I can buy them?