Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2008, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Keep in mind that I am not upgrading but building from the ground up.
Old November 5, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just came across this review including ocing of the 920
CPU3D.com / Intel Core i7 - 920 (Nehalem) Processor.

Quite encouraged by the results. If it wasn't for the rotten Canadian dollar the launch prices aren't too bad actually. I hope the motherboards come down a little bit though. Shaping up for a nice future upgrade later next year perhaps. I hope AMD can counter a bit to keep things competitive.

That said if gaming on future cards is still solid with the core2/DDR2 technology vs i7/DDR3 it might be better to go for a GPU upgrade later next year instead as games get ever more demanding.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 5, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow...4GHz very easy!

Hmmm...

I had been thinking about picking up a Q9650 at some point if the prices dropped and keeping that and waiting until the next gen of i7 or even waiting for Sandy Bridge.

But man...the Q9650 costs about $700. I wonder what a P6T Deluxe and an i7 920 would run.
Old November 5, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I disagree. All the X58 mobos are enthusiast-level products and are priced exactly in the same price range as the X38 and X48 boards were when they launched.

Some are priced below $400 like the ASUS P6T Deluxe listed for $375 @ Sohodiffusion.

The basic price range for an X58 board here in Canada will be between $325 and $500.
Well if it were before the prices got jacked up I would have said.. SKY that is expensive man.. But Since most of these X48 board with DDR3 at least (since X58 is DDR3 based) I think the prices aren't too bad.

Something interesting, but still it will cost more than a DDR2 Core 2 Duo/Quad build, off course it will be far superior but still expensive due to the high costs on the memory, just like DDR2, the cheap DDR3 memory seems shitful lol..

But thanks for the heads up SKY, damn you take good care of us, we are spoilt now with your services
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 29, 2008, 11:27 PM
Rookie

Default go with the current quad or the virtual 8?

Hi, New to the forum, been a fan of the site for a long time.

I am on the verge of putting together my first complete build. I have always tinkered, but never built my own system.

I was just about set to start a build around the q9450 or q9550 accompanied by a Rampage Extreme x48 board....when I saw the articles on the the new i7 chips/x58 chipset.

My question is, should I go ahead with my build OR spend the extra $30 - $50 and build a i7/x58 system?

If I go the route of the new i7 series, does anyone know if there are mounting brackets available to adapt socket 775 cpu coolers to the new socket 1366 boards?...if so where can I buy one?
Old November 30, 2008, 12:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

when is the HWC overclocking review going to come out, I've been waiting patiently but I want to see what these can do and what performance boosts I can expect from overclocking.

I could read other review sites but I enjoy HWC reviews the most.
Old January 27, 2009, 05:08 PM
MVP
F@H

Hi. New guy here.

Just wanted to say, I've read all the reviews on this topic, and this was the most detailed. Thank you.

I also wanted to say to boondock613, for a $30-$50 difference, there is no reason not to embrace this new architecture. As for the cooling, several aftermarket coolers have adaptor kits to go from 775 to 1366.

Due to my current finances, I'll have to wait for a build based on this new hardware.

Last edited by KeepSix; January 27, 2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old January 27, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome aboard KeepSix!!

I'm in a similiar situation had I not moved to a C2Q setup so late in the game and killed my budget I'd be running an i7 now. I have no intentions of getting rid of this system anytime soon but I will likely moving to an i7 by the end of this year or early 2010 and keep my C2Q around for a nice folding box. Hopefully by then we'll see an improvement in our dollar and some price breaks on the i7 cpus, boards and especially memory we'll both be able to save a little more cash when the time comes.

Regards,

EE