Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2008, 01:39 AM
Allstar

Dont look like much to me. HT has always been a bomb, theres a reason why it doesnt work, never has. Its disrupting a superpipelined CPU to reload data and instructions. And, it looks like if I OC my q6600 a little more, I dont need an i7 yet. The only benefit it has so far is if your gonna do some hevvy server business. And if thats the case, the only benefit it has I can see is the ram. The I/o of the drive sub sytem looks like a bottleneck also if its going to be a hevvy server. So, go ahead, blow your money if you really need to. Im sure the shiny factore of it wont be to shiny in a month or so.
Old November 4, 2008, 04:16 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Me want , but me not need, maybe wait for mainstream chipset.

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; November 4, 2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old November 4, 2008, 04:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

MAC attack! Great job- a pleasure to read!

Very much looking forward to the overclock results.

A month ago I was planning on becoming an early adopter if the initial results looked ok, but I think I've changed my mind- Two years ago when the conroe was still pretty new, I got a great deal of enjoyment out of being an early adopter of the 680i with all it's problems and quirks, I actually enjoyed working through them (probably because I had relatively few) but from what I've been seeing with the i7/x58, the expense seems to greatly outweigh the benefits for me- given that the software I run won't fully realize the benefits of hyperthreading, and I would fully expect that in six months better steppings and better motherboards will be out and all of it will be much cheaper. Nehalem is a failure of moore's law from what I can tell.
Old November 4, 2008, 05:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Wait 'till you see what we have in store for you guys. We envision this as an ongoing review with multiple linked articles since in all reality, the progression of a platform is fluid throughout its lifetime. We will make sure to keep on top of the development of this platform past the almost-alpha stage it is currently at so you guys should be the most well-informed about the i7 once everything is said and done.

Another thing I have to do is compliment MAC and FiXT on this one since they really pushed through to get this one up even though we were the LAST site to receive the Reviewer's Kit. Starting off more than two weeks behind most sites had me worried but I think our article shows the dedication of the whole team here at HWC to make sure our readers have the most information possible.

As a side note, I also think the animated screenshots are brilliant.
Old November 4, 2008, 05:21 AM
Allstar

As usual excellent job. I did notice an error though. On the Microarchitecture page where it shows the two pictures of the Yorkfield Quad core and the Nehalem Quad core, just below the picture you say the Yorkfield is on the left. While in the paragraph just below that you are saying the Yorkfield is on the right :)

I have no desire to jump on the new architecture right away either. While it's a pretty impressive chip I'm curious to see what AMD is going to do over the next year.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old November 4, 2008, 05:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I always seek quality reviews. For me it doesn't matter if it's a day or two later after net is flooded by various reviews.
I was waiting with patience this review and it doesn't disappointed me. For me it was the best review I've read until today on i7 hat off.
Old November 4, 2008, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry FixT- didn't realize you were co-author when I congratulated MAC - GJ!
Old November 4, 2008, 06:27 AM
MVP

Great article, it is very informative explaining about the new features. I also don't care if it is released later since this is often a mark of a quality article.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 4, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Wait 'till you see what we have in store for you guys. We envision this as an ongoing review with multiple linked articles since in all reality, the progression of a platform is fluid throughout its lifetime. We will make sure to keep on top of the development of this platform past the almost-alpha stage it is currently at so you guys should be the most well-informed about the i7 once everything is said and done.

Another thing I have to do is compliment MAC and FiXT on this one since they really pushed through to get this one up even though we were the LAST site to receive the Reviewer's Kit. Starting off more than two weeks behind most sites had me worried but I think our article shows the dedication of the whole team here at HWC to make sure our readers have the most information possible.

As a side note, I also think the animated screenshots are brilliant.

I'm sure I don't only speak for myself but I definitely appreciate this type of hard work; it's why the only time I really read other review sites anymore is because MAC links them in his weekly news! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Wow where have I been!! Cracking a keith's and putting up my feet for a good read.

Gotta love that east coast beer! Man, I remember when I couldn't even buy it in Ontario and had to pick a case or two up in Halifax when I was visiting family and drive it back here!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 4, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Sorry FixT- didn't realize you were co-author when I congratulated MAC - GJ!
You were correct in the first one, the writing was all Mac and Sky's genius.

I just sat in my small dark and dank closest testing stuff Hell I only got one bathroom break a day, but endless coffee.... you know what that does to a man!

(gives them bronchitis :P )

Just a small part of the puzzle