Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Jay...how'd that 8800GTX work out for you anyways!?
working great ,its the gpu im using atm with a 37" lcd... no more sli ,ill put 1 in each pc.
card runs cool on box(open air) have not tried it in a case yet ... gotta get back to fin my builds soon.
then try to OC this 8400 also.

im very happy with it,
thanks again :)

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old October 31, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Glad to hear it Jay....you'll be already now to "batten down the hatches" in preperation of your Sask winter!

Old October 31, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey...remember you were telling me about that OCZ SLI Memory ??..do you still have it?

Old November 1, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

sure do bud, 2 sets 2x1gb 8500@1066,i be willing to let a set go,if you in need...
give me a call or drop me a pm ,im sure we can work something out

edit:i also acquired a of set of OCZ DDR2-1150/PC2-9200 ,how fast you want to go? :)
maybe i can get settings from you to OC my E8400/780i when you find your max OC

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Last edited by jay51; November 1, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old November 1, 2008, 11:08 AM

FYI if you swap CPUs in Vista you will have to reformat to make your TV tuner work again (if you have one). I learned this the hard way some time ago :(
Old November 1, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus@ncix.com View Post
FYI if you swap CPUs in Vista you will have to reformat to make your TV tuner work again (if you have one). I learned this the hard way some time ago :(
Wicked, thanks Linus
Since I didnt know this and have a TVtuner on the way, and wanted to see if the 9950 would net me any realworld gains in my HTPC project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 1, 2008, 11:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Might as well jump in with a somewhat related question since the thread is kinda leaning in that direction......

How have the enthusiasts amongst us found Vista's behaviour to frequent hardware changes? One of the reasons I was originally opposed to upgrading from XP was the concern that folks who change hardware frequently would find themselves SOL after a certain # of hardware changes. Was that concern valid? Does anybody (with a legit Vista license) have first hand experience with the process or is everybody on Vista who changes hardware frequently running some form of "patch" which does an end-run around the issue? (No discussion on the actual "end-run" please... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 1, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Might as well jump in with a somewhat related question since the thread is kinda leaning in that direction......

How have the enthusiasts amongst us found Vista's behaviour to frequent hardware changes? One of the reasons I was originally opposed to upgrading from XP was the concern that folks who change hardware frequently would find themselves SOL after a certain # of hardware changes. Was that concern valid? Does anybody (with a legit Vista license) have first hand experience with the process or is everybody on Vista who changes hardware frequently running some form of "patch" which does an end-run around the issue? (No discussion on the actual "end-run" please... :) ).
The only problem that I have had has been when my mobo blew a cap, since it is a OEM copy I had to call MS.
I have changed everything from CPU's to hdd's and that was the firstime I had a problem.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old November 1, 2008, 11:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
The only problem that I have had has been when my mobo blew a cap, since it is a OEM copy I had to call MS.
I have changed everything from CPU's to hdd's and that was the firstime I had a problem.
No issues with M$ getting it activated on a new motherboard then?

This is an important issue for me as I've been through at least 8 different CPUs and 6+ different chipset motherboards with each of my current XP licenses (OEM). I've also been through Socket A, S754, S939, & S775 without having any issues other than the need to call them to confirm that it's only installed on one computer.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 1, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
No issues with M$ getting it activated on a new motherboard then?

This is an important issue for me as I've been through at least 8 different CPUs and 6+ different chipset motherboards with each of my current XP licenses (OEM). I've also been through Socket A, S754, S939, & S775 without having any issues other than the need to call them to confirm that it's only installed on one computer.
Yes and No they didn't want to do it but I bitched that the mobo died and since it wasn't covered by warranty no RMA was available. It took about a hour of jaw-jacking to someone that I could barely understand ( harsh accent) to drive that home but in the end I got a new Key.

Quote: