Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2008, 08:24 PM
Rookie

Default Inspiron 1501 Cpu upgrade

I bought a TL-60 cpu to replace a sempron in my laptop. It is compatible I know how to do everything hardware related, but do I have to do anything else? eg. bios?
Old October 17, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Provided the motherboard supports the cpu you should have no problems upgrading, much like a standard desktop motherboard as long as it supports the cpu its should be nothing more than a quick switch.

The current dell bios for the Inspiron 1501 fixes only an "erroneous bad battery message during post" you can find that here: Drivers and Downloads

Althought be wary of DIY upgrades if I am not mistaken as such will void your warranty from Dell, although I am not 100% sure of that.

I would also like to refer you to this thread it might have some useful information: Dell Inspiron 1501 CPU Upgrade

Good luck and welcome to HWC ,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; October 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old October 17, 2008, 10:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Provided the motherboard supports the cpu you should have no problems upgrading, much like a standard desktop motherboard as long as it supports the cpu its should be nothing more than a quick switch.

Althought be wary of DIY upgrades if I am not mistaken as such will void your warranty from Dell (correct me if I am wrong)

I would also like to refer you to this thread it might have some useful information: Dell Inspiron 1501 CPU Upgrade

Good luck and welcome to HWC ,

EE
Yea I saw that thread first. It had some good info just didn't know if I had to mess with the bios. thx
Old October 17, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Read my orginal post I was editing some content regarding the bios.