Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Main Course: GTX 260 SLI Entrée

I finally got a hold of a pair of GTX 260s, EVGA Superclocked + GTX 260s to boot. These two are from a retail store and appear to clock about as good as others with stock cooling in normal ambients. I only have them for a short period of time but will do my best to make use of the them as best I can. First up will be some clocking with the cards on air and the CPU under LN2 to get a feel for what they can do on this board and how the CPU will clock FSB under cold on this guy. Here is a complete list of hardware used for these results and then a photo of the setup as always:
  • CPU: Intel C2D E8600 (L814A526)
  • CPU Cooling: Rev3 CU Mousepot w/LN2
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC3-16000 CL9 // G.Skill HZ 2x1GB PC3-12800 CL7
  • NB Cooling: Swiftech MCW30 / MCP655 / MCRES-Micro / PA120.2
  • SB Cooling: Thermalright HR-05-SLI
  • PWM Cooling: Swiftech MC14 x 4
  • GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked+ (177.92)
  • PSU: Ultra XPro 750W
  • HD: Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ
The setup as tested...
click for full size...

I had two session after I missed any Vantage or 06 benchmarks because I bugged the CPU and it was all downhill from there in the first. I didn't want to stick to the same clocks for each benchmark as 05/06/Vantage are limited by FSB so I basically maxed out each benchmark. The goal was to test FSB clocks for each benchmark as this was the first and second time running LN2 on this board. Consider these the shakedown runs, with most tweaks applied...be sure to note the bandwidth in a few of them, 15K on yet another 790i board for this guy :up:

Keep in mind, the Vantage score is without PhysX for HWBot submission...and I was stoopid and forgot to run it after with PhysX enabled.

click for full size...

Things went well and getting down to temperature went quite smooth. I was able to boot at the clocks you see above no problem and the board responded as it should throughout the session, until I bugged the CPU and warmed it up with a blow dryer in the first session. That was the end of that as the pot was just too unstable to run anymore. Temp swings were nightmarishly quick and all over the place. The pot needed to be warmed up to -80C before the bug went away, with the RE, this CPU would bug and 20 seconds later it was back in action without any outside heat applied which made benching a breeze. With this board, I will just have to make sure not to cold bug the bloody thing. During the second session I was much more careful and went a solid 3.5 hours without an issue.

The other thing I want to mention is that my Ballistix will absolutely not boot at higher than 1050MHz. I thought it was a board issue and threw the G.Skills in to find they were booting just fine at 1096MHz so clearly not a board issue and related just to the Ballistix.

At this point I thought I was done with the GTX 260s on air but then something came up and a sleep deprived FTWD owner decided he needed a colder SPP and got crazy with a makeshift LN2 setup on the SPP. The results then spurred the phase change SPP cooling seen at the bottom of the cooling section. First up is a photo of the system followed by the initial results with the cards still on air from SPP temps around 15C give or take a couple degrees.

click for full size...

The results...
click for full size...

I only had a couple liters of LN2 so the session was strictly focused on 01 and AM3. I had to dial back clocks on the GPUs just a touch because the ambient wasn't as cool as before but I am still a little idssapointed with the 01 score. I was hoping for 125K at 6GHz but it just wasn't meant to happen. The AM3 score is just ridiculous though and I would have loved to run higher but as it turns out, my CPU ran out of juice. FSB clocked a good bit higher yet so if I can get this E8600 whipped into shape, the final AM3 score I put up with this board and these cards might be something pretty exciting.

Last edited by 3oh6; November 4, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old October 17, 2008, 09:24 AM

Default Dessert: The Best Part of Dinner

First up is a small collection of memory bandwidth results. I will keep the highest Everest Read bandwidth I manage with this board posted here. Think of this section as an almost "best of" type deal. I just have one thing to say...my EVGA 790i Ultra was never able to do this

click for full size...

Last edited by 3oh6; October 31, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old October 17, 2008, 09:24 AM

Default After Dinner Coffee: Well...How Was Dinner?

This is where I will wrap things up after I have finished some LN2 benching and provide my final thoughts on the EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW Digital PWM.
Old October 17, 2008, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I never quite know where to drop comments when you do it like this..... :) (Please delete if it's messing up your placemarking).

For something that's stated as not being a full fledged review, you've certainly given us everything we'd want to see!! Great job!!!

I'm quite pleased to see an Nvidia chipset board here... seems like almost all of the boards we get to review are Intel chipsets, and it's always good to see the competition.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 17, 2008, 10:29 AM

Love the header idea
Old October 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Jody, you are aware our dollar is now down to $0.85 or so, right?
Old October 17, 2008, 11:12 AM

Yah I just bought $200 worth of USD and only got $160, sucks. :/
Old October 17, 2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
Hey Jody, you are aware our dollar is now down to $0.85 or so, right?
i am now...i hadn't a clue and a week ago when i wrote this up, it sure wasn't. can't blink anymore without something financially changing drastically. just got back from filling up the dewar and gas is down to less than $1/L here. i don't fill up with gas that often but i don't recall it being that cheap in forever.

needless to say, i did get some LN2 so hopefully i can finish the work i have and get some LN2 CPU/GTX 280 work done on this guy. it will be a little underwhelming i think because of the 550ish FSB limit so nothing over 5.5GHz on the CPU i don't imagine. maybe i will get lucky and move up to 560~570 under cold but it doesn't look good from what guys like Dino have said
Old October 17, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
i am now...i hadn't a clue and a week ago when i wrote this up, it sure wasn't. can't blink anymore without something financially changing drastically. just got back from filling up the dewar and gas is down to less than $1/L here. i don't fill up with gas that often but i don't recall it being that cheap in forever.

needless to say, i did get some LN2 so hopefully i can finish the work i have and get some LN2 CPU/GTX 280 work done on this guy. it will be a little underwhelming i think because of the 550ish FSB limit so nothing over 5.5GHz on the CPU i don't imagine. maybe i will get lucky and move up to 560~570 under cold but it doesn't look good from what guys like Dino have said
Too bad. It's still a nice board for what it does and I'd love to see some tri-GTX 280 action!

I was in London this past weekend helping Grandma move into her retirement residence (I didn't realize you were up that way).

The gas prices were a pleasant surprise this morning, that's for sure! Too bad about the dollar though, considering I still have a few more things to order from the states
Old October 18, 2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I never quite know where to drop comments when you do it like this..... :) (Please delete if it's messing up your placemarking).

For something that's stated as not being a full fledged review, you've certainly given us everything we'd want to see!! Great job!!!

I'm quite pleased to see an Nvidia chipset board here... seems like almost all of the boards we get to review are Intel chipsets, and it's always good to see the competition.
thanks bud and no worries on the comment spot. it is always a race to try and get all the posts in. just wait for the post that matches the last line of the table of contents and your golden.

i am glad you are happy with the amount of information. i guess it is very review like for basic background info on the board, just not with the benchmarking and whatnot. more of an OC Report plus information if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Love the header idea
thanks Zac, i have been wanting to put a little graphic header for the sections for a while now and figure this was a good time to start. didn't want to add to much weight to the posts but with broadband these days and my host being decent, it shouldn't slow load times too much.

BFG GTX 280 OCX all air numbers are coming shortly, hopefully sometime today if the Vista install goes smoothly