Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2008, 12:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Crashing in IBT and Orthos is not a good thing. Usually you receive an error not an BSOD.
Your rig is stable in daily use? In idle temps looks OK.
Do a memory test with memtest86+ (at least one complete pass without errors) or/and HCI Design Memtest (at least 200% coverage).
As for calibrating RealTemp take a look here. It's not very scientific or accurate but is better than nothing.
Old October 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't use speedfan :) I use EVEREST ULTIMATE and found it gives the most accurate readings. Normally CPU = the CPU casing's temp (own heatspraeder) and the core, is the temps of the cores themselves - so I think those temps are mis-reported, your CPU casing should be the highest number - and the flame icon - don't even worry about it, by default, speedfan is configured to show the flame icon on any temps 50C or above.

Can you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and look at your processor usage % what are they right now ?

Those are not DANGEROUS numbers, but they are definately not normal. Also if you remove heatsink you defiantely want to clean the heatsink area and CPU and re-apply carefuly, twisting a little back and forth before aligning to get rid of any air bubbles.
I use an AMD CPU (Athlon 64 x2 5600+ and even OCed to 6000+) with stock heatsink, during idle runs in the mid 30s :D
Old October 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Normally CPU = the CPU casing's temp (own heatspraeder) and the core, is the temps of the cores themselves - so I think those temps are mis-reported, your CPU casing should be the highest number
I think you have that backwards dude.
The CPU cores always have a higher temp then the heatspreader.
At idle the main temp for my quad (which would be the heatspreader temp) is 25C. Each core at idle runs at 28C.
I use Gigabyte's EasyTune5 Pro to check my cpu temp, and AMD OverDrive Utility to see the core temps. Everest is good too. It gives me the same readings.

Maybe you have a CPU that the heatspreader wasn't applied to correctly when manufactured?
Old October 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I think you have that backwards dude.
The CPU cores always have a higher temp then the heatspreader.
At idle the main temp for my quad (which would be the heatspreader temp) is 25C. Each core at idle runs at 28C.
I use Gigabyte's EasyTune5 Pro to check my cpu temp, and AMD OverDrive Utility to see the core temps. Everest is good too. It gives me the same readings.

Maybe you have a CPU that the heatspreader wasn't applied to correctly when manufactured?
Well don't the cores dissipate their hate to the spreader itself and that is the part that is hotter ? In all my readings throughout the years I noticed the spreader being hotter. My Athlon 64 x2 5600+ stock, with both cores at 100%, temp of the heat spreader can be in the 65-66C, while the CPU cores are 50-55C. and yes heatsink is applied correctly - think it's AMD that's cutting corners lately and their stock coolers are garbage, even before applying them I noticed the inconsistencies.