Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2008, 05:53 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default Dual LAN

Ok, I figured with the wealth of knowledge around here, maybe something good and/or fun could be found out. So when there's Dual LAN connections on a motherboard, is there any way to bridge them or something to that effect, to create one, single pipe?
Old October 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know my new PCI express intel nic and my standard intel nic has a option to link it to another nic but I HIGHLY doubt onboard can do that.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770 (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Intel X25-M 160GB, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old October 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

From the help file of my intel nic:

ANS Teaming OverviewANS Teaming Overview

Advanced Networking Services (ANS) teaming is a feature of the Intel® Advanced Networking Services component that lets you group multiple adapters in a system into a team. ANS teams offer features such as load balancing, increased throughput, and fault tolerance.
For more information, see ANS Team Types.
Teaming Requirements

The network configuration as well as the type of adapters you have installed in a computer affect which team types can be set up on the computer. Review the information on the ANS Team Types topic for an overview of team requirements and capabilities.
Supported Adapters

All teaming options are supported on Intel® PRO/100 and Gigabit adapters. If an adapter appears in the New Team Wizard or the Modify Team tab, it can be included in a team. Teams must include an Intel server adapter or network connection.
For some Intel® 10GbE adapters, only Adapter Fault Tolerance Teaming, Adaptive Load Balancing, and Switch Fault Tolerance Teaming are supported.
Selected adapters from other manufacturers are also supported. For more information on using non-Intel adapters in teams, see Multi-vendor Teaming.
Adapters that appear in the New Team Wizard or the Modify Team dialog box can be included in a team. Not all adapters support ANS Teaming, and adapters that are already in another team will not appear in the list of available adapters. TOE (TCP Offload Engine) enabled adapters cannot be added to an ANS team and will not appear in the list of available adapters. Not all operating systems support all adapters. If your operating system does not support an adapter, it will not show up in the list of available adapters. Adapters utilizing Intel® iSCSI Remote Boot cannot be included in a team. Please see the User Guide for a list of supported adapters.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770 (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Intel X25-M 160GB, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old October 14, 2008, 12:41 PM
Rookie

IIRC you need server side support to do what you really want. I tried to do the same on my P5Q-E because I have 2 Internet connections right now (don't ask) but teaming doesn't do what it sounds like it does.
Old October 14, 2008, 01:18 PM
Top Prospect

i've asked this question already. and i currently also have 2 internet connections. i can't figure out how to get anything teamed. but my computer does use both connections. it seems it picks the fastest connection first. then if i need to do some internet surfing then it uses my other connection.
Old October 14, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have this on my ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe and I have only 1 broadband connection, so I haven't tried it, but there is a specific feature built-in the board that supports it and a utility that combines the speed of both ports to 1 super high speed connection. That was the whole idea for Dual LAN in the first place :)
Old October 14, 2008, 02:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Trainguy, what's the purpose behind wanting to team your connections? The only time it would make sense is if you want to transfer large files across your local network regularly. If you're thinking it will speed up your internet connection, it won't. The speed throttle here is your cable/DSL modem.

For example, my cable modem is at 10Mbps. My router is 100 Mbps. My NIC is 1 Gbps. Even if I updated to a gigabit router and teamed my lan connection, my max download speed is still 10Mbps.
Old October 14, 2008, 06:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
[...] combines the speed of both ports to 1 super high speed connection. That was the whole idea for Dual LAN in the first place :)
I always thought it was for servers and workstations that just need to access > 1 network. Motherboards have had dual LAN ports long before any such teaming software came bundled with them (like my 5 year old Gigabyte 7NNXP nforce2 board).

Furthermore, you absolutely do need server support to make good use of 2 connections in a largely HTTP world. Think of downloading a Windows service pack from MS. There is no way to parallelize this on the client side. BitTorrent is a nice example of a protocol that lends itself well to saturating parallel connections.

Last edited by cgbc; October 14, 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: more details
Old October 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
Rookie
F@H

Well I was thinking it would make a good idea to transfer things from my home server to my computer and vice versa, no matter what, my internet will be bottlenecked at the connection, so nothing can really speed that up, short of fiber anyway
Old October 15, 2008, 08:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The only time it would make sense is if you want to transfer large files across your local network regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
Well I was thinking it would make a good idea to transfer things from my home server to my computer and vice versa,
Then it should speed things up if both computers are teamed to the switch/router.