Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2008, 03:51 PM
Allstar

I'm not a fanboy of anything. I buy what is the best bargain for my money. At the time I bought my system, the winner was intel - no contest. If AMD has a better product at the time I'm in the market, I will buy their product. However, I also like to support the underdog, so if two AMD/Intel competing products are pretty much even, I will always buy AMD. Unfortunately, AMD products just haven't been up to par as of late.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old October 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll certainly be interested in your benchmarks, especially if you can get the phenom up to the same clocks as your current 5000+ .

As scratch mentioned, one of the biggest hurdles at the moment for enthusiast use of AMD chips is the lackluster overclocking abilities. I'd be willing to sacrifice some performance if AMD chips would overclock worth a damn but even in that aspect they've failed to impress. Sometimes I wonder how much of that is directly related to the chips, and how much is related to the fact that motherboard manufacturers have put most of their R&D into producing intel boards that overclock well. I also wonder if the fact that AMD/ATI is now in direct competition with Nvidia might have hurt the AMD motherboard market. The glory days of S939 overclocking were ruled by Nvidia chipsets which probably isn't possible in today's landscape.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old October 7, 2008, 05:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Congrats on the 9950! I'm not afraid of buying a Phenom X4. In total I have 6 desktop machines at home and at the cottage.

Only 2 are Intel setups. The other 4 are all Athlon64 X2 AM2 setups.

I would have already upgraded 1 or 2 of these to Phenom X4 CPUs but the problem is that 3 of them are running Asus M2A-VM mobo and the 4th some crappy Asus M2N thingy.

So none of these can do HT 3.0, and none of them can accept any of the higher wattage Phenoms. Before I start swapping out AM2+ capable mobos, I can't touch Phenoms.

I could run low-end Phenoms like the 9550 on the M2A-VM mobos but it feels like a ripoff spending $150 per CPU and having it run at HT 2.0.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 G1 Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Old October 7, 2008, 07:09 PM
Allstar

Anandtech posted some nice overclocks using a motherboard with the 780G/SB750. I believe they took a 9850 (9950?) well over the 3 GHz mark with little effort which is not bad considering Phenom's lackluster overclock performance on earlier chipsets.
Old October 7, 2008, 08:10 PM
Allstar

I'm a long-time AMD user here, and they simply have nothing to offer me EXCEPT for two things: the J&W Minix 780G mini-ITX board (PCIe x16!), and the 780/790 series boards for HTPC use (with LPCM output over HDMI). To compete with the mini-ITX board, Intel has a mini-ITX G45 as well, but it only has PCIe x1.

Intel beats them at everything else. Price/performance duals, price/performance quads, sheer performance, low-power (Atom), lower-power (Core 2/Celeron), the list goes on. I went from a home with multiple AMD systems, to adding 2 Atom systems, 3 Core 2 systems, and 1 single-core AMD AM2 system (which I only bought because of its ridiculously low price on sale, otherwise it'd have been another Intel).
Old October 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
Rookie

I have a dual-Opteron system that kicks serious ass even though I built it over 3 years ago. 2x dual-core Opteron 275 @ 2.2ghz, 4gb memory, 3+ TB disk space. My old workstation is still around but not in use, it's an Athlon XP 2800+ box that can still hold it's own but is aging.

The way I see it is that if you're overclocking then it's easy to see the value is with Intel hardware even at the slight price premium. If you go for a lower-end CPU like an e5200 then the value is amazing when overclocked. This is why I went w/ Intel for my newest workstation (P5Q-E, Q9450). It's running at 3.8ghz and no AMD system is going to catch it right now.

If you don't overclock then it's much more even. I think that the Intel skew here is because we're enthusiasts and most of us probably overclock. If AMD catches up just a bit more and Nehalem doesn't OC as well then AMD black editions are once again going to be very attractive when compared to Intel.
Old October 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'M sticking to my AMD X2 CPUs - AMD CPUs run hot, the phenoms are power hungry despite claims otherwise, still - when you're used to running 65W and 89W and jump to 125W or more, and you have 2 systems that you leave 24/7, you start to feel it, plus AMD really is cutting corners now and starting to suck real bad with their stock coolers.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:30 PM
Quadfather

I'll run underdog until the day I die. (See my rant about the necessity for competition). Only reason I haven't jumped to Phenom yet is that Deneb AM2+ processors should be arriving early 2009, it will be more worthwhile to save up and buy then. Till then though, primary system? AM2. Secondary (LanParty) system? 939. HTPC system? 754.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

:( My plan after getting my e2180 was to go to AMD just to try it out. But buying used chips = cant be picky = tons of intel chips for good deal, and no AMD's. Also, getting a new mobo would suck :(
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old October 19, 2008, 02:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I biult an intel system around x-mas time last year was bored with it plus my son's gigibyte I had running at 2.8 for years on a 3200+ died so I gave him my intel quad and bought amd this time, I too beleive we need to suport both platforms... Recently I redid my system to be able to oc it was driving me nuts running at default speed. I replaced everything in all the wrong order ram, mb and cpu turns out my 9850 was the culprit that was holding me back after putting in a 9950 was at least able to get it up to 3 Ghz. Have been a fan of amd for years, so for me it didnt feel right playing on an intel system dont know how to explain it really, guess maybe the underdog thing you could say, loyalty maybe, anyway it just didnt feel right.

I have no regrets running this amd and will continue to do so.

At the speed we all run at nowadays, the games wont notice which rig were on ;) and have never really been a benchmark junky so, to be honest since we were getting the old 650 blue cores over 1 gig when say 700 Mhz was the top speed haven't really seen a major differenece in speed in cpu's. This could be do to the bloating in new OS's compared to say 98se, but as far as actually saying man this is fast, we seemed to have lost that in the last couple years, basically cpu's have lost there balls, guess that is what was looking for when I bought amd again... Is like they are all fixing there hair and forgetting they had balls... So be nice to see some raw power compared to no's is all am trying to say something we can feel and see the difference in. So I guess this is why I bought AMD oh and I wanted to add Asus's web pages suck.....