Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2007, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default AMDooo, Where are yooooo?

A few weeks ago, after examination of AMD’s pathetically low stock prices, I decided “well, they probably can’t get any lower” and bought some shares in the CPU underdog. Since then, it has been somewhat of a rollercoaster ride for me as I almost immediately watched my stock value drop from $14USD per share down to $12 per share. Last week, rumors of a potential buyout sent the shares back up above my buying price to almost $15 dollars per share, and yet despite dismal news on lost market share, and desperate measures to get some money back in their coffers, their stock have remained above my buying price. As for me, I think I know the reason why, but I’m not sure if that is the same perspective that the big players on Wall street have for continuing to hold onto their shares.

The way I see it is this: NVidia’s latest contribution to the entry and mid level GPU market is underwhelming to say the least. While preliminary results from AMD/ATI’s cards aren’t earth shattering, perhaps they have a good chance of securing a good portion of the low-end GPU market in the coming months with their new lineup.

Additionally, they are showing some promise in the integrated graphics department, and even though not glamorous, it represents a huge part of the market.

And while the Barcelona couldn’t possibly arrive too soon, they are promising great things from it, and while people may be skeptical about how much weight these figures hold, AMD has made good on its performance promises in the past. I really think that they did make a huge mistake in ending the 939 line, because when it comes down to it- only the huge monopolies like Intel and M.S. can actually dictate what people want. Mere mortals like AMD have to be satisfied with providing what people already want.

Most of us are truly rooting for AMD because we all love the underdog, and at the very least, competition is very good for the CPU market, and we are reaping some amazing benefits in the form of good technology and even better pricing.

All these factors may not amount to much more than a house of cards, and while AMD may not be tipping all their card yet, this noob isn’t really sure how many aces they have up their sleeve. I’m curious to know how you more knowledgeable enthusiasts see the outlook for AMD given the current state of things.
Old April 25, 2007, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, when AMD spanked Intel around with the release of the AMD64, I would be willing to bet AMD was the most surprised at how badly and how long they were on top of the giant Intel. The way I feel about it is that a company like AMD cannot possibly compete directly with a giant company like Intel. At this point in time, Intel is rubbing it in AMD's face because they were shamed by such a small player. I doubt we'll see anyone beating Intel outright again for some time to come since they lost so much market share when it happened. They have the money to fuel the pricewar and AMD is clutching at the edge with their fingertips. I still highly doubt AMD will be sold or go under. It makes no logical sense.

I made the jump to Core 2 Duo because like most everyone else, I wanted the fastest PC and the highest benchmark scores. But I am now back to AMD once again. Not because I am loyal to them. Not because I think they are better. I just prefer them and no matter what anyone tells me., for what I use my PC for, my AMD is just as fast in real world usage as any C2D. I built 4 Core 2 Duo machines for myself over the last 5 months. Many many configurations. To me, my current configuration is just as good and performs just as well in day to day use and in gaming. I still regret to this day for breaking up my 165Opteron/X1800 Crossfire PC when I went Intel C2D because nothing I have built since has gamed as well.

I think (and hope) that AMD is just playing the cool cautious game. By not hurrying to release a faster CPU and not hurrying to release a DX10 video card, they are forcing Intel and Nvidia to speculate and wonder. While all the publicity is not good, they are getting MAJOR publicity and people are feverishly anticipating the release of an AMD C2D killer and a DX10 video card. You could not possibly buy the amount of free advertising they are getting by NOT releasing anything. Time will tell, but if AMD (David) can take on Intel/Nvidia (Goliaths) and compete closely in the near future, we will see alot of mothballed C2D's and 8800's.
Old April 25, 2007, 09:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

What is the minimal buy-in amount for AMD shares?
Old April 25, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the great response- I have heard many people say the same thing about real-world performance, and there are many things about graphics performance that currently can't be measured well- I often hear that the graphical presentation of the ATI cards is just plain prettier.

That said, I was just offered the choice between a Crosshair motherboard and a Commando mobo, and after careful thought, I went with the latter (mind you a big part of this had to do with the fact that I have an e4300 chipp here waiting to be slotted)-- I almost hope that I made the wrong decision!
Old April 25, 2007, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure that AMD has to produce a C2D "killer", but what they do need to do is make their intentions clear.

AMD did well enough when they didn't have the fastest chip around (although Intel is making it hard price-wise for them to return to their former market position), and I'm sure the pairing with ATI will produce some form of unbeatable lower end hybrid.

That said, I got stung by the sudden dropping of the S939 platform, and I'll be damned if I'd invest in AM2 until I know for sure that it's going to support their next gen chips. (Short form.... they need to get off of their asses and assure folks like me that we wouldn't be left out in the cold again).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 25, 2007, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
What is the minimal buy-in amount for AMD shares?
You can buy in at as few as you want, but the trading firms generally charge by the trade and it's usually about $30 per shot- you can figure it out from there, but unless it's just a practice run, you're probably wasting your time with less that 1500 bucks.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
...I got stung by the sudden dropping of the S939 platform, and I'll be damned if I'd invest in AM2 until I know for sure that it's going to support their next gen chips. (Short form.... they need to get off of their asses and assure folks like me that we wouldn't be left out in the cold again).
Let's not forget all the Intel people with their you know whats in their hand when they required a chipset change for C2D. The current rumor is Am3 will work with AM2 hardware but not with DDR3. Something about DDR3 power requirements are that much different that they won't work in DDR2 slots.

I got burned by S939 dying fast, but that is a problem for all platforms.
Old May 1, 2007, 08:17 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I got burned by S939 dying fast, but that is a problem for all platforms.

dont forget that since AMD release their A64 chip they change platform 3 times (754, 939 am2) and ther am3 is coming

while Intel drop the 478 to LGA 775, and they are still using it.

my personnal opinion is that keeping a platform for a long period of time is thebest way to do it, ppl will upgrade their cpu without changing bangwagon

if you're a 939 user and wanna upgrade to dual core cpu, what will you look at? only 939 DC cpu left in stock is tigerdirect x2 3800+ which is not a high end chip. so you will start to look around and see that if you wanna have more cpu power you have no other choice to chnage your rig, then you will change to C2D. But if amd ddint drop the 939 line, you would still probably be in the AMD bangwagon

and dont forget that M$ didnt support the NF3 (754) for vista, or only offer limited support. with all that BS going around, we 939 user will drop just like the 754 user where.

that just my 2¢ but i think that the change of platform killed AMD has well has the C2D did

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old May 1, 2007, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup my 939 is starting to show signs of aging and when I upgrade yes it will most likly be to Intel (shudder). I have been on AMD since the durons and know the quirks of OCing them, I would prefer to stay with AMD for this reason, but unless AM3 pays off it's going to be a whole bunch of new lessons for me....... then Again with DDR-2 and the timings it's going to be a learning curve agin I think, way more settings that DDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton