Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
Rookie

Default I'm freakin' out!!!

Hi guys, as some of you might know, I ordered many parts from DirectCanada on monday. The mistake I made was to read the reviews [not the ones on DC] on my motherboard AFTER I ordered it... It's a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H. Many many reviewers stated that this particular mobo had rebooting issues and coulb be difficult to configure. Anyone here has this mobo? If so, are you having any problems with it? I'm freakin' out, my order hasn't even come yet but I'm already scared... Anyway, thanks for your precious help!

Old September 18, 2008, 02:35 PM
Allstar

I bought this for my sister's computer. I got the very first revision (A or 1?) and there are are whole slew of problems with it:

1). connecting more than 1 IDE devices on it (will not recognise any if more than 1 plugged in)
2). must run SATA drives in IDE mode or it won't be recognised
3). integrated graphics cannot play back video files unless hardware accelaration is turned down.
4) no parallel port plug (has header, but cable must be purchased separately) - only a problem if you have legacy parallel devices like me.

I didn't RMA it because it was a budget board and I lived with the limitations since she would be without a computer for weeks if I RMA'd. However, I wasn't impressed and I wouldn't recommend buying this board unless the problems are fixed.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old September 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced381 View Post
Hi guys, as some of you might know, I ordered many parts from DirectCanada on monday. The mistake I made was to read the reviews [not the ones on DC] on my motherboard AFTER I ordered it... It's a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H. Many many reviewers stated that this particular mobo had rebooting issues and coulb be difficult to configure. Anyone here has this mobo? If so, are you having any problems with it? I'm freakin' out, my order hasn't even come yet but I'm already scared... Anyway, thanks for your precious help!

First, take some deep breaths and relax Now, if you are a patient person, just return the item after it arrives if you are not happy with it. You may face a restocking fee but it is the price you pay for peace of mind I guess. Second, if you decide to move forward with it, then make sure you upgrade the bios to the newest available and see how it works. You may be happy with the product. But freaking out will not help your stress levels.

If you decide to return it and get a new one, remember, read the reviews before you order the item! I'm sure you'll be fine, relax and think about your options.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old September 18, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're really worried about it just do as Dwayne says and send it back. Not a big deal, or contact the DC rep on our forums (forget his name, can anyone provide it?) and see if it's been shipped yet and if you can do something about it.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
Rookie

Ok...

Both my Hard-Drive and Dvd Player/Burner are SATA... There's no way to make them work in SATA??? What's the use of having SATA ports then???

I bought an ATi Radeon HD 4850 so the integrated graphic card can go to sleep...

I don't have any serial device.

I never updated a BIOS, how do you do that? Floppy? Flash drive? Directly in Windows?

How many days do I have to try the motherboard and see if it works enough for me?

Will it affect gaming performances???

Thanks a lot guys ...

Old September 18, 2008, 04:54 PM
Rookie

Ok... I found that card: ECS A780GM-A V1.0

Is it a good brand? It has all I want except CrossFireX capabilities, but I don't really mind right now. Has good reviews and is cheaper too.

What do you think?

Old September 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced381 View Post
Both my Hard-Drive and Dvd Player/Burner are SATA... There's no way to make them work in SATA??? What's the use of having SATA ports then???
What he probably meant was that you had to run it in IDE compatibility mode, versus ACHI. The SATA connector will still plug in.

RELAX. Bios update should fix all the early problems with most boards.
Old September 19, 2008, 03:35 AM
Rookie

Ok, but how do i update the BIOS? Never did that before...

EDIT: Ok I figured it out by myself. I also found out that the "reboot problem" of this mobo was happening only if 1066MHz memory was used with a non-Phenom CPU. Can anyone confirm this? I hope it's true, it would fix that problem since I ordered an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz and 2Gb of Kingston DDR2 800MHz RAM.

Is it so bad to use SATA drives in native IDE mode?

Thanks!

Last edited by ced381; September 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM.