Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Phenoms and Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe

Is it even remotely considerable I have hmmm and hawwwed about this for months now but time and time again I look at the benchmarks and I just can't justify it. The question that I ask am I wrong would spending the money on phenom with this board bring a world of difference to my gaming computing experience. I feel like I would be throwing my money down the toilet and my money would be better spent on an Intel system like I made mention in a new build thread.

EE
Old September 17, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

it will probably be slower at games actually. You'd be best to stick with what you have now, to be honest. They, or grab the 6500+ which is a dual core phenom. I think i've seen that it's faster clock for clock with games and certain apps.
Old September 18, 2008, 01:12 AM
Allstar

The vast majority of today's games don't scale well past 2 cores. I'm sure it will be a different story a year or two from now, but for now, dual core rules the roost when it comes to gaming.
Old September 18, 2008, 03:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I read and if I really think at about it was probably here that phenoms really need the additional bandwidth that Hypertransport3 provides is that true or only for multithreaded task.
Old September 18, 2008, 05:50 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I honestly don't think it would be a good idea to "upgrade". IF you try running a K10 in a AM2 mobo (not AM2+) you are asking for problems. First off you will have to run the lower TDP phenoms or risk a blown mobo. Even if you do use a low TDP it will run like a dog....if it even posts. A good while back (before anyone was admitting you'd need a new "improved" mobo to run a k10) one of the US sites did a trial run with Phenoms + darn near every AM2 board out at the time. MOST failed to work at ALL. While yes I'm sure updated BIOS probably could fix the post issue you are still going to be running a powerful chip in a mobo that just can't handle it. K10s need HT3.0 to work properly and not just for multi-threaded apps.

As for the old upgrade or not question....your on your own! ;) Very few of us "really" need to upgrade...we just want to. Intel has some great combos out there, but don't count out AMD they have some interesting tech just on the horizon (I personally am looking forward to a k10 X2 w/ built in GPU on the die)....IF you can wait for it that is :)

Of course that's just my two cents and as the old saying goes "Your Mileage May Vary"

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 18, 2008, 09:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess we have all battled the upgrade bug and thats exactly what I am experiencing now. I agree with you all it does make sense to be patient and see what AMD has to offer down the road. I have no intentions of gutting this system infact its just a damn good computer and I am sure it will find a nice place in the girlfriends hands just as soon as I decide what road to take in the near future. I have gotten a lot compliments from many techs from bell and rogers that occasionally ask about it and I do find it funny that most haven't the faintest clue what SLI or who Thermalright is most just stare rather puzzled wondering what 2 huge video cards and one monster heatsink is doing inside my computer. I try to explain but most loose me after the first or second word, we truly are in different relm of computing then others.

Cheator that is one option I am considering infact soley on what I have heard and read, but more importantly the price the 6500+ is priced right about what I would consider paying for anything remotely phenom related at this point and time.

Thanks to all that replied,

EE
Old September 18, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alot of people report that running a 9850 and 9950 (not currently supported) on this board shows better system repsonsivness and am I wrong to question that the GTX 280 or Radeon 4870 he or she has might have something to do with how well their games play given their current cpu. Hypothetically speaking if running a similiar setup only with a 5000+ BE @ 3.2Ghz and a GTX280 or Radeon 4870 show simliar results regarding FPS depending on the game being played.

While a lot of people do overclock their 9850BE or 9950BE what can they expect the lifespan of the board to run such a high TWP and one thats not been rated to support it?

Correct me if I am wrong 3DMark06 and Vantage are synthetic benchmarks and don't actually represent what performance one might experience playing ie. Crysis, COH, WOC etc.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; September 18, 2008 at 11:19 PM.