Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As you can see in my Sig, I have a pretty big jump in Voltage to get stable (Prime95) going from 3.82 to 4.05

Old September 19, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
My intent wasn't to get into a "my E8400 clocks at xxGhz with only xxVoltage" scenario. I KNOW what voltage it takes to get MY E8400 stable...
great, we were simply commenting on some poor information that came out of the thread that is completely relevant and corrected it...it's called discussion relax
Old September 19, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
My intent wasn't to get into a "my E8400 clocks at xxGhz with only xxVoltage" scenario. I KNOW what voltage it takes to get MY E8400 stable at 4.05Ghz (I know all E8400's are different, in fact I know their are some folks that need 1.4v to get stable below 4.05Ghz) I wanted to know if anyone has had any issues running their E8400's at vCore 1.45v (BIOS) 1.39v (under load).

Thanks in advance
If you have it set to 1.45v in bios and it drops to 1.39v under load .. theres other issues somewhere.

Thats a insane amount of vdroop
Old September 19, 2008, 07:13 PM

Ive run my xeon at 1.45v for long periods and it is fine
Old September 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks Eldonko....all I was looking for! I don't believe the combination VDroop and vDrop (under load) from 1.45v to 1.39v is "insane", as a matter of fact this seems par for the norm when looking at any vDroop and vDrop. What is the s_hits, is that my particular E8400 requires 1.45v set in BIOS to get my system stable @ 4.05v.....
btw.....I'm always relaxed!!!

Old September 19, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
If you have it set to 1.45v in bios and it drops to 1.39v under load .. theres other issues somewhere.

Thats a insane amount of vdroop
I'm curious......what issues would you be referring to? I have posted my desktop pics of all items in the past, including HWMonitor showing my VCore while under load and there was no immediate concern at that time..........?

Old September 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

See pic below, with 1.45v set in BIOS (version P04)

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  150.6 KB

Sorry if the numbers are not very legible....under load is 1.389v

Old September 19, 2008, 09:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nah, you're fine. What's your idle voltage showing as under CPU-Z? The last 4 boards I've had have shown an idle voltage less than BIOS setting. That's vDrop. I think enaberif thought you were drooping from 1.45 idle to 1.39 load, which is a large variance, although my P35-DS3L did that too.
Old September 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

When I set vCore in Bios to 1.45v ....no load is 1.424v (Cpuz).....under load (HW Monitor is 1.389v - 1.393v)
Thats what i thought too....should have been a bit clearer....anyhow, sounds as though 1.45v in BIOS is ok and likely won't fry anything, so will go with it for awhile, hell I like the speed of 4.05GHZ!
I'm almost thinking of purchasing a new E8400 with the new Stepping...and keep it in the closet in case this one does go "kaput"...

Old September 20, 2008, 09:20 AM

That's normal man, dont worry about it. Some boards have more droop than others.