Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2008, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Default Its like a new board!

Just figured Ild make the announcement as I am extremely proud of myself.....I just re-capped a board and it has stably stressed with everest AND prime95 for the past hour. I may be jumping the gun just a bit but im extremely proud of myself. Ild recommend anyone with about 50 bux to spare on a cheap little soldering iron, solder sucker and some solder to give it a shot!
Old September 14, 2008, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm I just fried a cap on my NF-41, now might be a good time to learn as the mobo's borked as it is.

Got any links to decient how tos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Yea. Its actually really easy. badcaps.net is where i finally ended up. Its very basic but a few things that you need to remember. You HAVE to match the caps UF rating but it is ok to go up in voltage. I replaced a 1500UF 10V cap with a 1500UF 16V cap and its working fine...you just cant go down in voltage or apparently you just made a large firecracker. Im gunna keep pluggin away with different boards and stuff(as i have a seemingly unlimited supply here at the shop) so if anyone has any questions feel free to send me a PM and I can take play by play photos or answer from my experience(be they good or bad lol) oh.....and one more thing...dont let the wife around while soldering.....they apparently have a tendency to sneak up behind you and throw their arms around you almost causing you to put a nice little 400 degree piece of metal through your hand
Old September 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So what board did you "re-cap"?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
Rookie

An old Socket A junker that I had at home. I had three board at first....but i destroyed the first two practicing desoldering....scorched them pretty bad and ended up just ripping the caps off for the successful one...Its not ideal to use old caps but i didnt feel like placing a special order and waiting a week(plus spending the money though it was only like 5 bucks) to fail epically lol so ill keep practicing on otherwise useless boards....maybe ill build a cheap frankenstein box and learn linux with this board *shrug* its the learning experience
Old September 14, 2008, 02:16 PM
Allstar

WHAT is a cap anyway? ANd whats its purpose?
Old September 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What improvement is there? Pics please.
Old September 14, 2008, 02:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
WHAT is a cap anyway? ANd whats its purpose?
Capacitor.....

Holds a DC charge.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 14, 2008, 02:45 PM
Rookie

basically a cap(and im sure its the same use as in a car audio system and thats what im going off of here) basically acts as a power stabilizer. they are the things on a motherboard that look like tiny batteries. As for improvements, It was a motherboard that came into the shop and didnt run stably so im not sure what it was like before it came in to my hands. All I know is that its running stable now and its been stressing for 3.5 hrs in an installed version of TinyXP. As for pics, i should have those up in a few as all i have is my phone.....then i have to email them to myself(as i dont have my blackberry desktop disc at work) so im just waiting for them to send out and ill post them up
Old September 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
Rookie

Sorry about the picture quality guys but heres the setup. if anyone has any suggestions on how else to ensure stability feel free to let me know
Attached Images