Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Computer & Electronics Hot Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2008, 07:30 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter View Post
I dont know about that, Performance PCs are terrible, just terrible! I ordered twice from Performance PCs, and both times the duties were more than 50% (65% on the second order!!!) Nothing gets me more furious. I wont buy from them ever again.
I have bought $600 of stuff from them in the past 6 weeks from them, and have yet to pay a cent in brokerage. It sucks you had to pay that much, but it isn't their fault. If the package needed insurance and you selected UPS/Fedex, then that is entirely out of their hands.
Old August 24, 2008, 08:23 PM
MVP

Just ordered a sidepanel and some CCFL lights from Performance PCS. It's not their fault, its the fact that UPS charges an outrageous amount in brokerage fees. My total was $87 something before shipping and I got hit with a $43 dollar brokerage fee.

They have a warning about UPS's brokerage fees on their website if you read their shipping info. I however don't like not having a tracking number, but for $43 dollars.....I think I can live without one next time.
Old August 24, 2008, 08:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
If you selected to ship with UPS when ordering from Performance-PCS then you are going to up the @ss with brokerage fees. I ordered from them and selected USPS and didn't hit with duty charges.
I heard of a way to defeat the broker fee with UPS if you are in a big city. You decline to accept the package with fee, you ask them to take it to the depot. You then go to the depot and get the paperwork and take it to the Canadian Border Services Agency office closest to you to get the paperwork done. You then take the paperwork back to UPS and collect your items.

I have not done this, but I can't see why it would not work. I am pretty sure you don't have to have them broker it if you can do it yourself.

Here is a link I found doing a little search:

HOWTO: Avoid paying UPS brokerage and disbursement fees. - UPS Standard to Canada - Epinions.com

Dwayne
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 24, 2008, 08:44 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I heard of a way to defeat the broker fee with UPS if you are in a big city. You decline to accept the package with fee, you ask them to take it to the depot. You then go to the depot and get the paperwork and take it to the Canadian Border Services Agency office closest to you to get the paperwork done. You then take the paperwork back to UPS and collect your items.

I have not done this, but I can't see why it would not work. I am pretty sure you don't have to have them broker it if you can do it yourself.

Here is a link I found doing a little search:

HOWTO: Avoid paying UPS brokerage and disbursement fees. - UPS Standard to Canada - Epinions.com

Dwayne
I think I'd rather just use USPS, a lot less hassle.
Old August 24, 2008, 08:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I hear you Lowfat, but there are some retailers in the US that will not us USPS because of too many losses or too much damage. I try to use USPS for all my cross border deals but occasionally I have to put up with UPS. So far I have not had the problem with broker fees, but I did do the research just in case. I really want to try it once too, just to see the look on the driver's face and the one at the depot when I tell them that they didn't have my permission to act on my behalf!
Old August 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I hear you Lowfat, but there are some retailers in the US that will not us USPS because of too many losses or too much damage. I try to use USPS for all my cross border deals but occasionally I have to put up with UPS. So far I have not had the problem with broker fees, but I did do the research just in case. I really want to try it once too, just to see the look on the driver's face and the one at the depot when I tell them that they didn't have my permission to act on my behalf!
Considering the drive between any border office and our ups depot is on a good day 40 minute drive... I think I'll stick to USPS
Old August 24, 2008, 09:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Considering the drive between any border office and our ups depot is on a good day 40 minute drive... I think I'll stick to USPS
I think you can use the Courier Low Value Shipping Program.

CBSA Office - Detailed Information

Airport from what I see. I may follow up and call my local office just for information. I really hate it when UPS screws me.
Old August 25, 2008, 09:04 AM
Rookie

Brokerage fees are why I have all my US orders shipped to an address in Point Roberts and I drive down myself. The full trip takes roughly an hour from Vancouver if you go in the mid morning. There's no duty on any of this stuff so you only pay taxes at the border. The other plus is you get the stuff much faster - when US vendors ship within the US, the process is a lot faster than when they ship to Canada.

The Point Roberts border crossing is never more than a few cars wait. Point Roberts is a tip of land that dips below the 49th. Once in PR, you can't actually drive too far. If you want to get into the Continental US you have to drive back up through the border into Canada and then go to another crossing like Peace Arch.

Of course this only works if you live in or near Vancouver.
Old August 25, 2008, 09:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Well Charles, when you open your online supplies shop we won't have to worry about that now will we.....I hope.
Old August 25, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow... very nice looking builds there, Charles.

If you can get a full cable-sleeving kit up for sale, I might just have to buy it from you