Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Computer & Electronics Hot Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
MVP

Default Newegg.ca Back to School Contest - Excl. QC

From newegg this time,

Newegg.ca: Back to School in Style Sweepstakes! Enter to win by September 6th

Good luck
Old August 25, 2009, 11:18 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Amended the title for clarity.

Also -(the Province of Quebec excluded)
Old August 25, 2009, 11:19 AM
Quadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
(the Province of Quebec excluded)
I really hate quebec sometimes... lol
Old August 25, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

...again, sigh
Old August 25, 2009, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What do all these businesses have against Quebec anyway? Did Quebec insult their mothers or something?
Old August 25, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome, back to school sale. Too bad most people in school can't even get in to it.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 25, 2009, 12:01 PM
F@H

Void in Quebec - Why So Many Sweepstakes are Void in Quebec

Here's a sample of it

Quote:
  • Register the sweepstakes rules and all advertisements used to promote the contest with the Quebec government at least 30 days ahead of the sweepstake's launch.
  • Pay a fee of 10% of the sweepstake's value.
  • Agree to allow the government of Quebec to mediate any lawsuits arising from the contest.
  • Follow strict guidelines about the contents of the sweepstakes rules.
  • Allow the Quebec government to determine if the sweepstake may be changed or canceled once it has started.
  • File a written report after the contest has concluded, attesting that the prizes have been delivered or attempted to be delivered.
  • Agree to follow a number of other rules and guidelines. See the Quebec Sweepstakes Laws.
Old August 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
What do all these businesses have against Quebec anyway? Did Quebec insult their mothers or something?
It has to do with Quebecs laws against sweepstakes and contests...

From About.com
For example, in order for sponsor to skip the "void in Quebec" restriction, Quebec sweepstakes law requires that the sponsors must do some or all of the following things:
  • Register the sweepstakes rules and all advertisements used to promote the contest with the Quebec government at least 30 days ahead of the sweepstake's launch.
  • Pay a fee of 10% of the sweepstake's value.
  • Agree to allow the government of Quebec to mediate any lawsuits arising from the contest.
  • Follow strict guidelines about the contents of the sweepstakes rules.
  • Allow the Quebec government to determine if the sweepstake may be changed or canceled once it has started.
  • File a written report after the contest has concluded, attesting that the prizes have been delivered or attempted to be delivered.
  • Agree to follow a number of other rules and guidelines. See the Quebec Sweepstakes Laws.

EDIT: Bah, Arinoth beat me too it...

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30
Old August 25, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Quebec laws unfortunately.

Holding a contest in Quebec requires submission of literally every single material related to the contest including all forms of advertisement before it starts, which requires approval by the QC Contest regulatory body.
The contest holders also have to pay a security deposit to the Regis, usually in the amount of prizes being awarded.

They also may have to pay a portion of the amount of prizes as a "fee" for holding the contest . Every little change or addition (such as an advertisement) to anything that wasn't in in the initial submission package has to be sent in and approved prior to running it.

Then afterwards full details of the winners, the prizes awarded, when the items were shipped, received, etc etc etc. has to be submitted within a certain time frame.

EDIT: Damn - Not only was a ninja'd, but I was ninja'd TWICE
Old August 25, 2009, 12:16 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
EDIT: Damn - Not only was a ninja'd, but I was ninja'd TWICE
Bwaha, sweet....

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30