Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Computer & Electronics Hot Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Pics Monday, after my waxing.
*shudders*

Atleast wait 2 days for the rash and redness to go away? Please?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 14, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When you mean cycles, are you talking about write cycles? From what I remember in Computer Architecture, writing NAND and NOR required a higher voltage than reading, which is what wears out the transistors or, effectively, the entire gate. But the reason why today's SSDs are NAND is because their response to flashing is much quicker than NOR?

Actually, here's a table of the differences between the two...

Old August 14, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, I meant write cycles. MLC = 10K write cycles per cell SLC = 100K write cycles per cell or there abouts :)
Both have darn near unlimited read cycles (or close enough to it that SOMETHING will wear out before read only cycles would kill 'em ;) )

As your graph shows, the reason NAND is used because it is relatively cheap to make and thus easier to make BIG'ish. Eventually, SSDs will move away from NAND, it is just is a matter of time.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 15, 2009, 12:02 AM

My System Specs

forgot I had a whole wack load of money in paypal. Ordered a couple more

Now only if Areca would release their next-gen RAID cards I'll be set.
Old August 16, 2009, 12:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Squeetard ..I was looking at those as well...seems like a good price, question I have is thier a considerable difference having 32 MB onboard Cache vs 64 MB Cache (Falcons)...or some with 128 MB cache?
Thnaks Squeet much appreciated.....

Old August 16, 2009, 09:07 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

lol, sorry I missed that post RJ.

The cache helps mostly with eliminating the stutter problem that occurs with lots of small random writes. This is a problem with real world usage as your comp does a lot of it, hence the issue with the first gen jmicron based drives. The indilinx barefoot based drives (Vertex, Falcon, Torx et al..) with 64mb of cache have eliminated the stutter so I think you'll have diminishing returns with more. The 32mb cache drives still show stutter in the most extreme theoretical tests but I don't think real world users have complained.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I see, are you at all concerned that those ones you purchased are 32 MB cache? As I did say F_ck SSD'd until the price drops I'm awfully tempted

No worries, went and checked my "armpits" for odours (standing in the empty room looking at the crowd)

Thanks man!!

Old August 16, 2009, 12:40 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I ordered 60gb Vertex's, 64mb cache dude.

OCZ Technology | Products | Flash Media | OCZ Vertex Series SATA II 2.5" SSD
Old August 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gotcha..