Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Computer & Electronics Hot Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2009, 10:59 AM
Rookie

Default Gateway PC w/ Intel i7

Sam's Club - Gateway® FX6800-01e Desktop 2.66GHz, 750G HD

Can I build equivalent for cheaper? I haven't been able to put one together for less than this.

Here's what's tempting me.

1. Price. Can't find it cheaper anywhere.
2. I can drive 5 minutes from my house and pick it up.
3. Return policy. Sam's has a very lenient one.
4. Warranty is great.

Here's turn off for me....

1. It's Gateway. Nothing against them but I'd rather build.
2. It's Sam's. I try not to support anything owned by Walmart.
3. I know building my own will get better components over all. But....

To me, pros outway the cons and I'm on a budget. Like I'm going to give plasma, and sell a bunch of crap to get it kinda broke. Hah!

Mkay, if there's a better deal out there, please let me know! I'm from the Southern Part of Central US. Canadian options aren't available unless it's NCIX and shipping is free/cheap.

Thanks!
Old August 10, 2009, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Box is exactly the same as the best buy acer. Now looking at the components have a look at the dell $899 (on dell website).
Old August 10, 2009, 11:47 AM
MVP

I think its fairly tough to beat that once you add in an OS etc. But to me its comparing apples and oranges. If you build it you'll get a motherboard that can overclock, parts that want - not whatever was cheap at the time. A power supply that doesnt just meet the minimum requirements etc. Building I guess isnt for everyone, you'd have to decide that.

Slickdeals in the states has a few postings you may be interested in. Theres a refurb of the gateway your looking at for a couple hundred less.
Gateway I7 system $699 (refurbished) - SlickDeals.net Forums

Theres a refurb dells as well with a lesser video card for 518.
i7 build off dell outlet, could use some pointers - SlickDeals.net Forums

Sounds like the gateway has or had some heat issues.
Old August 10, 2009, 11:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll give the standard disclaimer I give for all "big box store" computers......

If it works out of the box and does everything you want it to do "as is", then you can't beat the price.

If OTOH, you think you might at any time in the future decide you want to upgrade it, or try to overclock it, you'd be better off with a custom build.

If you do buy it.... don't forget to run the "decrapifier" program (google is your friend), and please for the sake of everybody's sanity, strongly consider not running the "free" norton 360. (Norton removal tool from the symantec website is your friend).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoosebum View Post
I think its fairly tough to beat that once you add in an OS etc. But to me its comparing apples and oranges. If you build it you'll get a motherboard that can overclock, parts that want - not whatever was cheap at the time. A power supply that doesnt just meet the minimum requirements etc. Building I guess isnt for everyone, you'd have to decide that.

Slickdeals in the states has a few postings you may be interested in. Theres a refurb of the gateway your looking at for a couple hundred less.
Gateway I7 system $699 (refurbished) - SlickDeals.net Forums

Theres a refurb dells as well with a lesser video card for 518.
i7 build off dell outlet, could use some pointers - SlickDeals.net Forums

Sounds like the gateway has or had some heat issues.
excellent research!!!!

If there's a lot of "refurbs" on this particular model, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!!!!!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old August 12, 2009, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Good info thank you!

Ok to ease your minds a bit. First, I am putting in my 680w Antec PSU from my build and slipping the one in the gate way in my old box. I have a better version if the same GPU so that's going. I will "decrapify" it of course as well as ditch just about every program outside of the OS it comes with and install my own. AVG, ACE Utilities and such. Just my usual. I'm sure there is better but I like these and know how to use them.

Eventually, I will get a new MB. Probably in 6mo to a year. Reason being, the idea of 12g triple channle memory makes me happy.

I'm just a WoW gamer. Nothing crazy. I'm not even hard core in that....anymore. Right now I am runnint a AMD 3800+ X2, 2 gig DDR 400 and a nice Sapphire HD 4870 with 512mb DDR5....My video card is my redeeming feature lol. Wifes machine is about the same.

I like to build, and do so for customers and my crazyass business projects but, for personal use, I don't need to go nuts.

I'll check the links above and see where it takes me. Thanks fellas!