Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Computer & Electronics Hot Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2009, 04:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default dealextreme.com ...Hot Deals or Not?

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this post.
I wasn't sure exactly where to put it.

Does anyone have experience with dealextreme?
Their prices are pretty low and most items have free shipping...
Most of it seems kinda crappy though.

Is there anything on this site worth buying?
Are they a reliable business to deal with?

DealExtreme: Hardware Parts (Page 1)

I don't think I'd bother ordering from them... maybe.
I'd probably be able to find stuff just as cheap somewhere local.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:57 AM
Rookie

I have purchased things from them. I would not use them as a supplier for general things you buy. I would buy only special things that you cannot get here in Canada. For example, I purchased lasers that are tough to get here. Many people have claimed that they did not receive part/all of their orders from time to time; this is entirely plausible. In addition to their unreliability, it will take anywhere from two weeks to two months to receive your order and there is no guarantee that it will all be in working condition by this time. Like you said, it appears that it is mostly low quality crap. From my experience the quality of most items is quite low, however this is justifiable through the price and lack of shipping charges. In summary, purchase knowing that it is not like buying from NCIX where you can complain about them not getting your order out the same day or not having their prices posted correctly. In fact, it may be best to treat dealextreme the same way you would a mail in rebate, although, not one of the good ones like corsair, but instead one from say, a more generic brand (in china lol). Hope this helps.
Old July 3, 2009, 07:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have bought screen protectors from them for my Nintendo DS & ipod Touch; they are pretty nice and cheap, does what they are meant to. However the ipod screen protector has swirly colours under artificial light, but under natural light it is crystal clear and sensitivity is not a problem.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...onthelam7&iid=
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=44147
Old July 3, 2009, 07:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

some things are good, some are not, read the reviews on the website for the items you buy, they are usually fairly accurate (in telling you what you might find wrong with the product). I've bought a few things, headphones, wireless adaptor, and some other stuff.
Here is a good thread to read

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-shipping.html
Old July 3, 2009, 01:16 PM
F@H

I bought some LEDs from there, nothing to complain about other then the fact it took about 2-3 weeks for the product to get to me since it was being shipped/handled from Hong Kong.
Old July 3, 2009, 02:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I bought the world's ugliest MP3 player for my daughter last christmas.......

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13762

Only took a couple of weeks to get here, and was exactly as advertised. (My daughter loved it BTW..... :) ).

If you're looking for quality products, it's probably not the place to go, but gadgets and smaller items seem to be well priced.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old July 3, 2009, 02:13 PM
F@H

Wow that really is the world's ugliest MP3 player, what were they thinking when they came up with it?
Old July 3, 2009, 02:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Wow that really is the world's ugliest MP3 player, what were they thinking when they came up with it?
Apparently it's modeled on a cartoon character from an asian movie which was supposed to be released sometime this year. I love where the USB cable plugs in....

As far as the gadgets go.... how could a person go wrong with a USB bluetooth receiver dongle for $2.50?????

DealExtreme: $2.47 Super Mini Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter Dongle (Vista Compatible)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old July 3, 2009, 02:26 PM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Apparently it's modeled on a cartoon character from an asian movie which was supposed to be released sometime this year. I love where the USB cable plugs in....

As far as the gadgets go.... how could a person go wrong with a USB bluetooth receiver dongle for $2.50?????

DealExtreme: $2.47 Super Mini Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter Dongle (Vista Compatible)

Oh i can only guess where they decided to put the usb cable plug in.

Just flipping through the site and found this little gem:
PC Motherboard Repair/Troubleshoot Boot-Failure Diagnostic PCI Card
DealExtreme: $2.57 PC Motherboard Repair/Troubleshoot Boot-Failure Diagnostic PCI Card

Now i don't know how good/reliable this is, however for $2.57 and the positive feedback on their site, don't see how you could go wrong with that. I might even pick it up, would make troubleshooting a hell of a lot easier.
Old July 3, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Oh i can only guess where they decided to put the usb cable plug in.

Just flipping through the site and found this little gem:
PC Motherboard Repair/Troubleshoot Boot-Failure Diagnostic PCI Card
DealExtreme: $2.57 PC Motherboard Repair/Troubleshoot Boot-Failure Diagnostic PCI Card

Now i don't know how good/reliable this is, however for $2.57 and the positive feedback on their site, don't see how you could go wrong with that. I might even pick it up, would make troubleshooting a hell of a lot easier.

My DFI board has one of those built in to the pcb, just south of the SB. Very handy. I would recommend it if you do a lot of PC troubleshooting.