Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Computer & Electronics Hot Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

you dont have to hire professional... you can do it yourself...well not completely prefect but lcd is more easier than crt... (i think)... oh yeah you can play it around for fun...

try this first because other link is mostly for crt ( except neat gamma softwares... i think) LCD monitor test images to test if all is good...

"On vehicle for delivery in Port Kelly" (about 30 mins away) but i will be outside all day...

you are lucky guys in eastern canada >_>;
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:29 AM
Banned
F@H

Yes, LCDs only have 3 colour elements within them, so calibration is really simple. You simple load up a know colour value, and I personally compare using a colour swatch held up to the monitor. you can get the swatches at anywhere that sells paint, BTW.

LCDs seem to give the best image with brightness down low, and the backlight set high, in order to be able to give accurate high-contrast images, so once colour is set, brightness must be dealt with, and then you must confirm that your changes have not affected the colour. Takes about 10 minutes, at the most, to do a decent calibration.

CTA's linked website has good images you can use to calibrate, just pick up the matching swatches at your local hardware store, and hold them up to the monitor and adjust your settings. I highly suggest that those using ATi cards use the CCC adjustments, while nV cards seem to do best with monitor calibration settings.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
My monitor was shipped from Greater Toronto (Mississauga to be exact).

I didnt get pictures up last night. I must of spent ~5 hours fiddling with the settings. Out of the box, as most have said, this monitor is BRIGHT. The funny thing is that its insane brigt on whites, but once you game (say WoW, or som other similarly 'dark' game) you seem to lose alot of contrast, and darker parts are really dark.

Its kind of hard to describe, and maybe its just me being accustomed to a washed out TN panel on my LG 203WTX (mind you that monitor is amazingly good for a TN)...but the bright is bright, and the darks are really really dark.

Right now I'm running B12, C80 at 98/97/99 RBG and I'm just going to give it a few days to see if I'm just TN-blind I hope so. Dont get me wrong, the colors are rich, vibrant and awsome...but I'm not absolutly sure about the contrast.

My Opinoin: Is it worth the 250 with taxes shipped to my door? For sure.
As with any LCD tho, there is 'quirks' and this 2209wa is no exception.
This is why I have to laugh at ads and boasts about a panel with 800cd/m2 or whatever bloated figure they want to print. My 2007WFP is rated at 300cd/m2 and if I ever tried to use it cranked up to that kind of lumo... my retinas would smolder into charcoal within moments.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 12, 2009, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
This is why I have to laugh at ads and boasts about a panel with 800cd/m2 or whatever bloated figure they want to print. My 2007WFP is rated at 300cd/m2 and if I ever tried to use it cranked up to that kind of lumo... my retinas would smolder into charcoal within moments.
lol. I know what you're saying. Reading around online, it seems 120-140cd/m2 is the 'comfortable' setting for white whites, while retaining contrast.

at 800cd I think I would probably cook myself
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 12, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yay!!!

Staring at my two new 2209WAs at work right now. Freshly calibrated and in glorious IPS colour. Lovely, I am very pleased. My old Lacie CRTs (which used to be the bomb) have nothing against these babies. Sweet deal, I am very happy.

Can't wait to get my personal 2209WA home after work to set it up for what's really important on a computer... GAMES!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 12, 2009, 02:40 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Yay!!!

Staring at my two new 2209WAs at work right now. Freshly calibrated and in glorious IPS colour. Lovely, I am very pleased. My old Lacie CRTs (which used to be the bomb) have nothing against these babies. Sweet deal, I am very happy.

Can't wait to get my personal 2209WA home after work to set it up for what's really important on a computer... GAMES!
Could you share your settings?
Old March 12, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Could you share your settings?
At work my monitors are in front of a HUGE window so they are in a very bright environment and technically backlit. So my settings will probably not work well for a darker "gamestation" environment. I also used a Spyder which creates a profile that makes adjustments to colour outside of the montiors controls (I think). Whatever it does it is a world of difference from the out of box settings. The whitewash is totally gone.

Here's what my settings are.

bright/contrast = 75 (default)
Red = 99
Green = 94
Blue = 100

I will take the spyder home tonight and calibrate in a more typical gamer environment too. I'll try to post before/after pics as well.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 12, 2009, 03:06 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
I will take the spyder home tonight and calibrate in a more typical gamer environment too. I'll try to post before/after pics as well.
Great, thanks.

I received mine yesterday too, but I haven't had the time to use it yet..aside from making sure it was free from dead pixels and physical defects.
Old March 12, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Great, thanks.

I received mine yesterday too, but I haven't had the time to use it yet..aside from making sure it was free from dead pixels and physical defects.
If I can figure out how to export my custom colour profile at home I will happily do it and post it for anyone who wants it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

please, with some pictures ;p

i think i will pick it tomorrow (not today, i am pretty hungry and tired)
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.