Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Computer & Electronics Hot Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2009, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect

I got mines 2day..They rang the door bell for a good 2 mins.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Got Mine too!

I'm going to take some pics beside my old LG 203WTX. This Dell thingy destroys it!

Back with some pics in a bit!
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 11, 2009, 07:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I ended up having to go to the Purolator depot to pick it up, as they came during the short time of day when I actually wasn't home, but so be it. I've got it set up next to my 226BW, and it just blows it out of the water! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Samsung....but this is another ball game. I never even realized that my BW tended toward blue, but after putting them side by side, I have no idea how I could have missed it! Temporary blindness???

Anyway, I also love the stand particularly its height adjustability, and it's ability to turn fully sideways. I'm not sure how much I'll ever use it, but it's still VERY cool!

Here are a few pics of both monitors...I'm sure you'll know which is which.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:08 PM
MVP

wow, that is a biiig difference. Are either calibrated?
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old March 11, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

i think not so... (no offensive) maybe you forget to change 9300k to 6500k...

oh yeah... i notice little more white on dell...

mine is still in ablerta... where is dell anyway?
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@vulcan:
Wow, that's a really nice improvement. I would have picked one up but I'm doing okay with my 2007WFP still. Looks like a fantastic purchase though. Hope you guys enjoy your LCDs.
Old March 12, 2009, 03:33 AM
Top Prospect

I found out some settings from google. Since I don't have any calibration equipment I just copied some guy's settings since he did a review with the stock settings and settings after calibrating. It's Brightness 10, Contrast 88-89, R 99, G 96 and B 99. I put those settings and it tends to make the screen become less white washed cause of the toning down of the brightness, easier for me to stare at it then when it come out of the box.

Here's the link : Dell 2209WA Monitor Review: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Old March 12, 2009, 07:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

No offense taken, CTA. And no, neither are properly calibrated; all I really have to do the job is the Nvidia utility, and there's not much chance of me affording anything to help me professionally calibrate them, particularly since they tend to cost almost as much as the monitor itself--if not more.

I fooled around a bit more with both after taking these pictures, and managed to minimize the blue a bit on the 226BW, and make things "pop" a little more color-wise on the Dell....if anything, I think I made the gap between them worse. <laugh>

Even better, I don't see a single dead/stuck pixel, and the backlight bleed is somewhere between minimal and non-existent, though I notice that as I move around the periphery of the monitor, there's a kind of "sheen" to the monitor...I get the feeling that that's something to do with the panel type, however, and I only notice it with a solid black screen; considering I couldnt' see anything from an angle on the TN panel, I can't say I'm overly concerned.
Old March 12, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You're right that sheen is a characteristic of IPS panels. I don't have my 2209WA yet but I can attest that my 2007WFP has a nice purplish sheen from an angle when the screen is black. You can use online tool to try and calibrate. These are more in precise than a Spyder or other gadget, because it relies more on your own eyes, but it's better than nothing.

Monitor calibration and gamma

You can Google for others too.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 12, 2009, 07:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
mine is still in ablerta... where is dell anyway?
My monitor was shipped from Greater Toronto (Mississauga to be exact).

I didnt get pictures up last night. I must of spent ~5 hours fiddling with the settings. Out of the box, as most have said, this monitor is BRIGHT. The funny thing is that its insane brigt on whites, but once you game (say WoW, or som other similarly 'dark' game) you seem to lose alot of contrast, and darker parts are really dark.

Its kind of hard to describe, and maybe its just me being accustomed to a washed out TN panel on my LG 203WTX (mind you that monitor is amazingly good for a TN)...but the bright is bright, and the darks are really really dark.

Right now I'm running B12, C80 at 98/97/99 RBG and I'm just going to give it a few days to see if I'm just TN-blind I hope so. Dont get me wrong, the colors are rich, vibrant and awsome...but I'm not absolutly sure about the contrast.

My Opinoin: Is it worth the 250 with taxes shipped to my door? For sure.
As with any LCD tho, there is 'quirks' and this 2209wa is no exception.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about