Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2008, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default NZXT Whisper

Anyone seen this case before? Its suppose to come out this month.

Link: NZXT. Products.

Do you think it would be worth switching over from a CM690? Since I leave my computer on at night and its in my room, I perfer a silent computer.
Old September 8, 2008, 09:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

An Antec P182 with some sound foam would do the same thing.
Old September 8, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, but the Whisper costs less than an Antec P180, plus the cost of sound dampening.
Old September 8, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ugh, as an audio engineer I cringe when I see things like that egg carton foam being sold as 'sound dampening'. Long story short, foam like that will only dampen certain frequencies. The Antec P series cases are actually better because I think all but I'm certain at least the P182/180 both layer aluminum and plastic in the case, which to a degree will dampen a broader range of frequencies than the useless egg carton foam that is in that NZXT case. That's just low density packing foam.

When you see foam in recording studios it isn't there to absorb sound energy across the board. It's specifically there to capture specific frequencies that build up due to the dimensions of the room. There is NO foam solution you can put inside a case that will properly dampen sound. It just goes against physics. All foam in a case does is insulate HEAT.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:01 AM
Trial Member

encorp: Thanks for that info. I too have been looking at purchasing the NZXT Whisper case. Regardless of the foam lining, I do like it due to the FULL Size case (compared to that mid size of the 180). Plus you can't really beat the price. Do you recon it's best to remove the foam lining?
Old September 25, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I DO NOT like the PSU layout on this. Because of the harddrive bays, you will need some pretty darned long 24 and 4+4 pin MOBO power connectors. Like, longer than needed in the P180, which is Quite long indeed. Other than that, it looks....Ok. The front looks nice, but it is cheapo plastic. The vents do pretty much nothing. All the vent holes in the back totally ruin any effect the sound deadening foam accomplishes. This is a budget case trying to be more than it is. Not recommended.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.