Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Thermaltake VD 4000 mini review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/8897-thermaltake-vd-4000-mini-review.html)

kruzn4evr July 28, 2008 02:11 PM

Thermaltake VD 4000 mini review

6 Attachment(s)
At first glance I thought this was going to be a Fantastic case, you could drive a Mack through it its so huge!
However, upon closer inspection of the PSU space I soon discovered that it wouldn't take anything bigger than a 750w PSU. I have a Thermaltake ToughPower 1200w. I tried every angle possible to slip the 1200 in and it simply was not going to go, I even tried a shorter Antec Quatrro 850w and it wouldn't fit either!
Between the bottom support bracket and the bracket that holds the mount for the top usb/fw/mic there isn't enough room to slide in the longer psu's. The mounting slot and hole for the top supporting bracket supplied (not pictured) is directly above the lower one leaving only enough room for maybe a 750w psu.

All they had to do was use screws instead of rivets so the bottom support bracket could be removed to install the longer psu's and then screw the bracket back into place and add a couple of slots and holes for the upper support bracket and problem solved! The worst part to me is that their own psu's won't fit their own case!! With todays power hungry video cards and other components the least they could've done was allow ample room to fit the larger psu's.

Now I know I could tap out the rivets, remove the bottom bracket and drill a couple of new holes to remount it and do the same for the top bracket but modding it would void warranty and honestly...should I have too??

Thermaltake?...you should be ashamed of yourselfs for such an obvious design flaw.

ebdoradz July 28, 2008 02:55 PM

thats an armor with liquid cooling right?

Cptn Vortex July 28, 2008 03:06 PM

Yeah, that sure is a silly design..... not sure what they were thinking....
I actually built a system in this case once, and it was kinda a pain....the watercooling worked well, but it was hard to bleed. And also, try mounting the pump/res when you have 8800GTX's in SLI....there is VERY little space. That being said, its performance was pretty great, for the price.

enaberif July 28, 2008 04:25 PM

Its the number 1 reason I hate those cases for.. PSU design is wonky.

kruzn4evr July 29, 2008 06:22 PM

Well....Man do I feel downright STUPID!!:doh:....after all those nasty I said about Thermaltake and how they should be ashamed?...I'm the one thats ashamed of myself now!!...Turns out the "problem" top bracket I refered to IS removable and I just didn't see it!! I don't know how I missed it but I did, maybe it's time for new glasses or maybe a 200w light to shine inside a case when I'm working on it..lol.

So, I apologize to Thermaltake for my comments and I now look forward to getting this rig together. I've never done a work log but I think this one might be a good place to start.

Cptn Vortex, you said it "was hard to bleed. And also, try mounting the pump/res when you have 8800GTX's in SLI....there is VERY little space", any suggestions on the bleeding? I'll be using 2 GX2's and I'm hoping to pick up a pair of the Koolance water blocks in the next couple of weeks if they get them in so I may be looking for some help with the set up.

Anyhow, once again, my apologies to Thermaltake and if all goes well I'll be more than happy to recommend the case and their probucts. :thumb:

omgwtf July 29, 2008 07:49 PM

Thats how I felt when I bought my case..and after I saw it with all the hardware on it..damn